Did Anyone Happen To Catch History Channel's Automaniac?

I just caught the very tail end. Was it any good?

Reply to
NoOption5L

I watched a chunk of it and it wasn't half bad. I was trying to watch 2 shows at the same time and it didn't work out so well :)

They talked about the COPO Yenko Camaro's and brought out one of the '70 Mach 1's used on tour of the military bases during 'Nam to drum up business. Not bad. Better than some of the other drivel on air these days, i.e. Pimp My Ride, Two Guys Garage, Chop cut rebuild, etc. IMHO Overhaulin' and Rides are the best shows on these days. We'll see what happens with this show.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

USAF uses Z28's now, at least for the U2's. I somehow think a new Shelby would look better doing this job. :)

"From an undisclosed location in southwest Asia -Some might say the great thing about a sports car is that it goes really fast. On the other hand, the bad thing about a sports car is that it goes really fast. With this much speed and power on tap, the driver is bound to get a ticket someday .unless he's wide open on the flight line as a chase vehicle for the U-2."-MSgt. Michael A. Ward, 380th AEW Public Affairs

Reply to
66 6F HCS

They did show his 1970 Boss 429 (Lawman) Mustang, very rare, used in Vietnam War (as promo vehicles), only two were made (one was crushed), 750 original miles. Ran it down the quarter too. One Screaming 'Stang!!!!

Bill Goldberg is a true Automaniac. Look at the list of his own personal collection:

1959 Chevrolet Biscayne 1965 Replica Cobra, built by Ernie Elliot 1966 Jaguar XKE convertible 1967 HEMI GTX 1967 Shelby GT 500, all original car 1968 Chevy Blazer 1968 Yenko Camaro, specialized, 40,000 original miles, 1 of 33 1969 Dodge Charger, HEMI Motor 1970 Boss 429 (Lawman) Mustang 1970 Ram Air IV Trans Am 1970 ½ Z 28 Camaro Trans Am race car 1970 Dodge Challenger convertible, 426 HEMI motor 1970 Plymouth Barracuda 440 Plus Six 1970 Convertible Barracuda 383 1973 Pontiac Super Duty Trans Am 1992 Porsche 911 Turbo 1996 Mercedes S600 V 12 1997 Ford Thunderbird race car 1999 Dodge truck 2003 Ferrari Modena 360
Reply to
66 6F HCS

We had chase cars on my base in Vietnam (and the Vietnamese Base Commander ended up with a white over green coupe. Had his kids out washing it about every day.

Beale, in Marysville, CA was my last assignment. U-2/TR-1s and SR-71s The chase cars had a really rough life..... sniff sniff

Both places brought a touch of home when they's burn from the end of the runway to catch planes.

Ok>>> on the runway? They were, and I think still are, used for the

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:01:53 -0700, Spike wrote something wonderfully witty:

When I was at Dover AFB in the early 70's they had an old runway they used to let us run drags on as well. I think the safety police have shut down all that type of activities on bases now.

Reply to
ZombyWoof