this vw gives you wood...

Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ben Boyle

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:23:43 -0400, "Ben Boyle" ran around screaming and yelling:

i do trim carpentry for a living, and i couldn't even start to imagine building something like that...the workmanship in that thing is awesome... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 01:54:52 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

the workmanship in that car is awesome...its definitely not some 2x4's and sheetmetal....that thing is a work of art, and someone has alot of sweat and care put into that thing... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I realize that a lot of expertise went into that project, but... but... I can't help saying - it looks like a turd.

Reply to
J Stafford

I would have to say buyer beware!!! Some of the wood is obvious, but I seriously doubt that the whole car is solid wood. Veneered maybe???? Worth the price? Not in "my opinion". And, Yes, I am a woodworker too and people don't care about the craftsmanship that goes into something like that or their Kitchen Cabinets. People want something for nothing.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

TerryB

The Guy

Jeez... the seller of this car is delusional... $110 grand starting bid!!! I agree with John -- it's a turd and he'll never sell it for anywhere near that coin.

For a little more then half the cash (for now) here's an original '58 Porsche 356 Speedster with 62k original miles:

Sweet! Not my car... if it was it wouldn't be for sale :)

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:13:17 GMT, "Rich" ran around screaming and yelling:

sorry guys, but you are comparing apples to oranges...the woodie vw is not a car...it is a rolling sculpture...and it won't apeal to someone that is looking at "a vw made outof wood"....not busting balls or anything, just stating the obvious...would *I* give 110K+ for a vw? heck no, but if i was able to afford a piece of art to put on display, and admire, and possibly play with alittle? you bet your ass...you can't compare the price of a car to this "vehicle"....its not the vehicle that will bring the money, its the artists' craftmanship... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:51:19 -0500, "TerryB" ran around screaming and yelling:

"laminated teak wood"....i would think that being a "woodworker" you would appreciate the way the craftsman has duplicated the shape of the car almost perfectly....look at the pics and pay attention to the curves at the fenders, and around the headlights...man that person was definitely a "wood guru" as far as worth the price, yes it is...in my view(opinion)....4500-5000 manhours on teh woodwork...that is alot..get your calculator out and see how many 40 hour weeks that is....then figure the labor rate for such craftsmenship, then you will see the starting bid is a bargain....but like in my reply to "rich" you would not be buying a vw, so don't look at it that way...you would be buying a piece of art, a part of the "artists'" soul, and something that may never be duplicated.... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, but it's a car....made of flammable material, coated in yet more highly flammable material, glued together with yet another flammable material. Doesn't this scare anybody? And who would insure it? Terminix?

Reply to
Shane

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:48:50 -0700, "Shane" ran around screaming and yelling:

no one actually reads what i write...i guess i'll stop now... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

One man's art is another man's garbage. Though I admire the craftsmanship, there's just something wrong with the ridiculous price. 110 thousand? Not in this lifetime.

I understand some people's fascination with beautiful custom cars. I put my heart and soul (blood, sweat and tears, quite literally) into a car when I work on it. I'm doing this with my 1960 right now. And when I'm done, it will be priceless to me. It will be a work of art, but only to me and perhaps a select few who saw what I started with. Someone who didn't do the work would probably look at it and think "$2500 tops" even though I'll have more than that under the deck lid alone. Most of us don't do it for the money, but the love of the car. Whatever drove someone to panel a VW in wood? Who knows? Art or garbage? Custom car or rolling obscenity? Each of us must decide for ourselves.

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Why wood someone remove the body, completely sandblast it, rustproof it and undercoat it if it is going to made out of wood? Wood you know the answer to that one? I'll bet there is knot as much wood as you wood think. If I wood have that much time on my hands I wood knot make a vw beetle out of wood even if I cood. Wood you?

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
>I agree with John -- it's a turd and he'll never sell it for anywherenear
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

your right, enlarge the pics and look at the fenders, hood, engine lid, and a few other major items are metal.

Gary

--

Reply to
Ace

Ah! Don't get your panties twisted in a knot. I really don't think there is as much wood as the ad tries to make us believe. Honestly! I also think that you didn't catch that the 4500-5000 man hours of labor was in the vehicle not just the woodwork. Have you priced a mechanic to work on your car lately? They want much more than $25 an hour...

Although it is not really a car I would purchase unless the price was right for me; it does not mean that I or we don't like the car. It very well could be that I or we don't care for what has been done to the car as in it is not in our taste. If I were close by I would want to go and look at it. However I don't want to travel all the way down to Florida just to see that car. After all I'm not interested in buying it anywhere close to that price.

I really do think that you really really like the car. So be it. I don't like the car. So what? It just isn't my taste. Neither was the wrought iron railing VW beetle. So what? The purists don't like us chopping VW's either. So what? I'm still doing it. I just tell them if they want to save it then buy it off of me with a shit eatin grin :-]

It is a work of art. And so is mine and so is Shaggie's and Bill's and John's etc etc etc. Now how much should I get for my artwork?

We all still like to see what others have done to their vw to make it personally theirs. Even if it is just upkeep or fully customized. By the way I don't recall ever seeing your vw. Do you have pics posted? BTW how about watching the language... There are kids who visit upon occasion.

BTW2 If I had that much money to throw away at art I would want RAMVA art!

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Shhhh Don't tell Joey.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
--> --Ice Tigre
Reply to

It is a work of art and God Bless anybody who puts that many hours into their VW. For me it gets somewhere far afield from the point of owning one. For that money it should be all teak, sort of a Franklin Mint in teak. Like the Ghia detailed down to the "authentic radiator cap" (for those who remember...) Somebody with a mantel big enough to put it on should buy it. I bet it even has real teak sawdust in the trans...;}

John

Reply to
dragoneyre

I get ya...