Door hinge pins

Could someone tell me a good tool to use to cut the old door hinge pins of a

1989 Mustang LX? I have a pair of "bolt cutters" but the nose is not long enough to fit between the door and the fender. It is a rolling restoration.

Thanks, Ty Addison

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Hawkeye65

I thought they had a carter pin through a hole at the bottom of the hinge pin, pull out the carter pin, then pull out the hinge pin.

??

Reply to
Boris

Last time I did door hinge pins I jacked up the door to keep it from sagging down when then pin was removed. (jack it up just enough to take the weight off the pins). then take a hammer and a pointy thing smaller than the pin and drive out of the hinge. If yours has a cotter pin too take that out first. Do one pin at a time. Put in a new one after removing the old one.

It takes about 10 minutes per door.

Reply to
Les Benn

Carter pin?? Mine doesn't have those. Mine doesn't even have Cotter pins in it.

Reply to
WindsorFox

1993 5.0 LX Coup, top pin has a carter pin, bottom pin does not. looks like the bottom pin is press fit, or screwed together(probably not screwed) A shop rehung both doors, I could not figure out how to remove the bottom pin. not sure how they did it. Could have ground the top off the bottom pin(?). On my car both doors the top pins lost the carters and were floating up, bushings were worn, loose door, not good when going fast, squeeks too much Good luck!
  • go Fast!
Reply to
Boris

My 93 LX did not have any cotter pins on the original hinge pins. The replacement does. I used a sawzall to cut the pins while keeping a jack under the door and my son to support the door when they were cut.

Reply to
sanpablo

In my case, a Dremel with a fiberglass-reinforced cutoff wheel, a center punch, a BFH, and a right angle drill (even after cutting, one piece refused to be pounded out)...

A jack to hold the weight of the door is nice too, as others have mentioned.

IIRC, both pins were put in from the top by the factory, and I believe if you don't want to remove the fender you must cut the top hinge in half to get it out. I think it even has a dimple to make cutting it in half easier.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Not sure if this applies but I used a Dremel Tool with a circular cut wheel on my Ford Mustang 1989. Worked fine.

Reply to
<rcln