Dual Exhast for 2004 V6 Mustang

What recommendations can I get for a system for my Mustang. X or H pipe or the MAC direct bolt on system that goes on the stock Y pipe.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck for performance and sound.

Thanks

Reply to
Nick Apuzzo

On 17 Feb 2006 15:03:06 -0800, "Nick Apuzzo" spewed forth:

I have GT takeoffs from Saleen on my 2001, with no crossover pipe. Hard to beat for the price, in my case $100.

Reply to
LoneGunman

Check e-bay. The V8 guys remove the stock system for aftermarket, then sell the stock system. Usually pretty reasonable in price, and easy to install.

Reply to
.boB

Don't do it! In my experience its not worth the added expense for maintenance. My old '69 mustang with the same engine and single exhaust had the same performance.

Fred

89 LX 5.0
Reply to
Fred V.

Now THAT is a headscratcher!! Did you mean your old 96?

Bet it DIDNT have the same sound! My cousin had a 63 Falcon with a supposed '260' which was 'built' for him in Ford Engineering - shorty headers, into a custom single, big car stock muffler, exhaust.

Ran like scalded dog.. perfect sleeper car... but in no way does a single exhaust ever sound like a dual exhaust.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Best bang for the buck is as quite of an exhaust system as you can put on the car, that way you are not alerting every cop in ear shot that you are a ticket simply waiting for him to write.

Flow dynamics dictate that there is no real performance advantage between a properly sized single exhaust system and a dual exhaust system especially in a street car application. Ask yourself why all modern performance exhaust systems have crossovers? The 2006 Super Duty is pumping out 362 Horsepower and 457 lb-ft of torque or 325 Horsepower and 570 lb-ft of torque through a properly sized factory stainless steel single exhaust system.

The mastic of dual is highly overrated.

Reply to
351CJ

"351CJ" wrote in news:EFIJf.2709$6f2.1511@trnddc02:

On the money. Duals on a stock motor are nice for the sound but they won't do much of anything for performance.

Reply to
Joe

"351CJ" wrote

Yes, but this is a 4" exhaust system. As big as some race motors use.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The take off exhast sounds like the best deal for the bucks, I don't expect much performance increase, but was looking for a better sound. I regret everyday not getting the V8. So much that I didn't get, the traction lock rear end, the better suspension, and the dual exhast, not to mention the engine. I did however have the traction lock differential put in by a ford dealer, it was well worth the money. Thanks again.

Reply to
Nick Apuzzo

Alright, "351CJ":

While you're making broad-based and generic claims, where are the pics of your work, the how-to's you should be so easily able to provide (unless you foolishly don't document your work), and your dyno- and road-proven stats, self-proclaimed carb-to-EFI conversion expert?

Either back up your repeated claims in specific, quantifiable, and proven terms, or you will forever be considered full of shit. If you selectively respond to this post, you are exhibiting the save evasive behavior you have thus far in the BB group, and will only further discredit yourself in the process. You aren't talking to ignoramuses. We will know if you present erroneous or contrived data. Maybe that's what makes you nervous.

You totally dodged that request in the our group, to educate us regarding all your claims. We are honestly interested in seeing your empirical data, because we presumed your repeated, vehement assertions about it were based on actual fact. We are interested in knowing about what you have to contribute on this non-trivial topic. We all could have something to learn from you, and we are waiting eagerly for your input, including pics of your work, parts lists, and some of the "gotchas" you undoubtedly have encountered in the considerable amount of difficult work you've done.

Without providing any of that, after all those "EFI is always superior; you are ignorant and stuck in the past; I've converted three carbed vehicles myself, and 'cars are simple to me' because of my unrelated job", you will just lose all credibility and gain the status of a shit-talking troll. That's the way this shit works, in case you haven't noticed by now. A person of your self-proclaimed superior intellect should understand that - unless you really are simply full of it.

So far, I peg you as just another arrogant, abrasive jerkoff who reminds me quite strikingly of other self-proclaimed, shit-stirring, URL-regurgitating expert with zero credibility that I've had the distinct displeasure of seeing slide down the ugly pooper of Usenet. No one wants to talk to a pathological liar. No one sane wants to waste their time with someone like that.

Make with the pics and the data, and I will rescind everything I've said.

Up to this point, you're all talk. I read your other posts, and it's all web-derived regurgitation and generalizations. It's also repetetive. If you now say it's "beneath you", or "not worth your time" to contribute a bit of your apparently impressive knowledge on this topic to these discussion groups, which (as pointed out) is their actual purpose, then you are nothing but hot air. It quite obviously was worth your time to argue the point to death in general terms and cast numerous aspersion on perfect strangers' characters, knowledge, and educated, experience-based judgments. If you can devote time and energy to that, take a few damned pictures, and give us an idea of what it would take to convert an FE or 385-series vintage Ford to EFI. It should be easy for you, unless you are indeed completely full of shit.

So, what'll it be, stud? Either prove your bad ass, or kiss all of ours.

Reply to
Wound Up

I know these mufflers are probably looked down on... and I'm sure everyone thinks they are right up there with the turbonator... their website does seem like a bad infomercial... yes, I'm talking about the Aero Turbine muffler... I was incredibly skeptical myself... When Scott Hoag from MRT suggested I put one on my car I about smacked him... But despite how hookie the Aero Turbine muffler looks and all the "science"... the dang thing worked!!! The thing is just plain amazing!

Now a before you guys flame me... LOL!

I have a 2005 V6.. I was running a Magnflow "straight through" single axle back exhaust. The Magnflow was big improvement over stock... After installing the Aero Turbine I went to a different shop that does my dyno work. Sure enough... with the Aero Turbine we picked up 7RWHP at peak! And at 5500+ RPM the gain is more like 10 to 12RWHP! The torque also increased!

Like I said I was very skeptical... that is why I paid to have the car dyno'd... just to confirm what my butt was feeling!

The Aero Turbine also had an improved sound over the Magnaflow... much deeper...

I've documented the gains with dyno sheets and have a few videos (takes off, driveby, inside) on my website... you can check it out at:

I am no way connected with MRT or Aero Turbine... I just a Mustang enthusiast who was impressed with the product....

Reply to
John S.

John,

Is this the unit:

? Thanks

Reply to
Nick Apuzzo

"John S." wrote

Okay, so those mufflers run between $400 and $600 for a pair?!?!? Not the whole system, just the mufflers!?!?! Screw THAT! Where the hell you supposed to fit two 6" diameter 2' long cylinders under a classic stang anyways. All for about 7hp an 10 tq?!?! NOT!

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Blue Mesteno, I wouldn't call a 2004 a classic, but being a 40th Anniversary Edition, I hope it will be some day.

Anyhow, What would you recommend? I'm here to hear all options, Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Apuzzo

Yep, that's it... They are built to fit the 2005's... I put just a single one on my V6... what a difference..

Reply to
John S.

That's a gain of 7RWHP OVER a "high performance" Magnaflow... A single axle back Magnaflow was good for close to 10RHWP over the horrible stock muffler on the V6... The Magnflow was $280. The MRT gave me

7RWHP MORE than the Magnflow... so the MRT was good for around 17RWHP! And it was CHEAPER than the Magnflow... The MRT was $225! And did I mention the sound.... much better than the Magnaflow... LOL
Reply to
John S.

"Nick Apuzzo" wrote

Well, I was speaking more specifically of my '69 where there is almost NO room under the car for anything.

On new cars, I would be the last to ask. I'd probably say a set of 3" Cherry Bombs ;)

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Well, IMHO, the best exhaust system is NO exhaust system. Doesn't get any more free flowing than that. But since we HAVE to muffle our cars, then the LEAST restrictive while allowing legal volumes would be the best choice. I, however, don't know WHAT that choice is. I'm going to probably end up with a set of 3" in and out 18" glasspacks. I don't mind the volume, plus, with enough sound deadener in the floors, you don't hear it that much.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Maybe on a V8... but we tried my V6 with no muffler and it sounded HORRIBLE! Very nasty... LOL!

Reply to
John S.

You need some amount of back pressure on a street tuned car.

Reply to
Zombywoof