EGR Revisited

So I cleaned the EGR on the 01 4.6 Liter Crown Vic. Light stayed off for a day then came back on. I replaced the EGR and the light stayed off for a day, and then came back on.

Kind lost as to where I need to go from there.

Thank you,

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

When you took the EGR off, was the manifold full of crap too? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Some times there is carbon under the EGR valve. This holds the valve up a little and the feedback pot. thinks the valve is open. I clean them with brake cleaner and then get all the carbon off the valve with a needle. What I'm talking about is where the little rounded rod that's attached to the diaphragm goes into the orifice, right where the EGR valve mounts. You can open the valve with your fingers thru the holes behind the diaphragm.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"2.3Sleeper" wrote in news:ijW4f.4524$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

The code was for EGR pressure, right?

Did we talk about the DPFE? That's usually the problem according to others with similar symptoms.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The DPFE is a known issue with V6 Taurus cars. Is it also a problem with modular V8's? I've never encountered it. That doesn't mean it's not an issue.......

Reply to
Ritz

Ford has gone as far as extending the warranty period on the DPFE on several lines.... My Canadian spec 02 SuperCrew has the DPFE covered to 80,000 km (50,000 miles.. can't remember the time span)... come to think of it, I recall replacing it under the extended coverage a couple of months ago...

Seems to me, I mentioned the DPFE to Don in his earlier thread..... but WTF do I know???

These things can be tested with a hand vacuum pump and a DMM... if a P0401 is retrieved from memory, this is the FIRST thing to check. Fords own "streamlined diagnostics" call for sensor replacement before any other diagnosis. If the code returns, now we diagnose...

While this system offers extremely accurate EGR timing, it is also a relatively fragile system because of the severe operating conditions experienced by this sensor.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Missed that, but it is now on the list for being checked first.

I will have to figure out if the CV has it, and then where it is. Gas mileage sucks, so I need to get it fixed soon.

Thank you all for your help. I will advise as to the outcome.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Hey Dude!

I think I can help you here... I had the same issue with my 01 Ranger, exactly as you described it. Turns out Ford has a silent campaign on that bugger just like Warman said. Give Cooper (or whomever) a call and ask about it. If memory serves its actually an EGR position sensor (Jim - correct me if I'm wrong) and trying to find any type of aftermarket replacement is like pulling your own teeth, or in your case, tooth. (Sorry, it's been so long since I've verbally abused you I just couldn't help myself)

Hope everything's going well for ya, Bro... I'm on my way out for a week's R&R. Talk to ya soon!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Okie Tom - TS #62

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. 2001 Ranger XLT
Reply to
bluestang98

It's not actually a "recall"... it is a warranty period extension on the DPFE... and I'd totally forgotten about it - even though I had to take advantage of it for my own 02 SuperCrew.. Not exactly silent, either since letters were sent out advising owners of the extension (too bad so many cars can "drop out" of the system after ownership changes)...

For anyone that cares.... for EGR related concerns on any Ford fitted with a DPFE sensor... this sensor is the weak link in the chain.... THIS is where to start when diagnosing any number of EGR related codes.

FWIW, Ford has (for warranty purposes) "streamlined" the diagnostic routine for several EGR codes.... replace the sensor - if the code(s) return, perform the pinpoint test procedure...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Craig Carpenter