Engine Rebuild Questions

Hey there guys and gals,

Been stripping the engine down over Xmas, and have just finished! Lots of questions though:

The Engine's been stripped to see why it was smoking so badly. After compression checks, the 8th cylinder was found to be way below the rest (36PSI compared to 120ish on the 7 others). With the teaspoon of oil added, the pressure went up to around 80ish. So I thought rings...WRONG! After stripping the engine, I found that the wrist pin holding the piston to the connecting rod had moved/been fitted wrong, and has worn a lovely great groove into the cylinder wall. I'm pretty sure that it's gone beyond the

0.030" for a rebore, so I'd like to know if I can have a sleeve fitted to this cylinder? If so, where do I buy one, or do they have to be made at the shop where the rebore would be done? Do all the other cylinders have to be sleeved as well, or do we just fit a sleeve and rebore to the average size of the other 7? The cylinders seem to be in very good condition considering the abuse that this car has probably taken, so I'm hoping to keep it stock diameter and stick with the pistons I have...

As for the crankshaft, it's got a nice deep groove around its circumference where the oil hole is for piston #1. This will obviously have to be ground down a size - do the others have to be ground down too or can I get away with just one resized journal?

At the other end of the crankshaft (#'s 8 & 4), there was a lot of sideward motion, and so, the bearings are really badly worn! I'm guessing new crankshaft? There was about 1/16" play between the end caps, where I noticed there is very little between the others (I would have needed feeler gauges to measure between them). Will I need to replace the conn. rods as well?

The camshaft looks good, but on removing it, I think I slightly damaged the surface of the foremost bearing (next to cylinders 1/5). Can I just replace this one bearing, or do I replace all?

The timing chain cover when removed and cleaned shows signs of cracking on its inside face (the outside has been painted) The cracks don't seem to go to the outside, but should this be replaced?

I think that's about it for the moment....I'm sure I've forgotten something, but there you go...

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Have a good New Year, and be safe!

Kevin

67 conv. in restoration - 289 4V -been buggered about with by the French!
Reply to
elmo

Yes you can sleeve just one hole, but I would have all 8 done to the same bore sized when finished. Same with the crank. You can either have it all done or go for a replacement. Depending on what you intend to do with the car when its finished should guide you. If its going to be just a driver then a reground crank from your local parts store should be fine. I personaly have a used a few of the Autozone regrinds and never had a problem with them. I have one in my 308 (302 w/0.040 overbore) with 10.5 slugs and aluminum heads. If your going to make serious hp then you may want to consider and better option. To be honest with that much damage I'd look for another doner or go with a stroker kit.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG