&$#*$%ers towed my car!!!!

About a month ago, after months of looking for the car I wanted, I bought a nearly pristine '99 GT vert. Coupla days ago I went to my girlfriend's apartment for a quiet evening and when I came back out it was gone. Thought it was stolen at first but quickly learned that it had been towed because the apartment mgmt was having problems with people parking in the apt lot and walking next door to a popular restaurant. (They claim that the wrecker drivers only tow those who they visually see walk from their car to the restaurant. Yeah, right.) Anyway I drove across town and paid the $137 tow and storage charges to get my car back. A cursory look at it didn't reveal any visible damage and the car seems to drive OK but I want to make sure my car wasn't damaged before I present them with the bill. Is there anything I or a mechanic should look for to make sure the car is OK? It was towed from the rear. Thanks.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

As long as the tow operator knows what he is doing, there's usually no damage. If there was, they wouldn't stay in business long. But look where the truck picked up your car in the rear for dents and scratches. Also, look at the bottom of the front air dam. With the ass up in the air, there's a chance of hitting the air dam on speed bumps and such.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
pete

I would also look at the underside of the rear of the car for signs of dragging (from being lifted too high) on the pipes or damage to the bumper cover and check your tires for signs of damage from it being dragged while in park or with the E-brake on.

Oh, and having managed apartments, IMHO the managers are lying to you. Tow trucks do not usually hang out in apartment parking lots waiting for a tow. They generally have to be called by the management or a resident whose parking space you are occupying. The parking lot there must also be marked clearly with signs warning that non-residents will be towed and where to locate your vehicle if it has been towed.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate