Exhaust inquiry

Boys,

I have posted here before but someone is trying to confuse me with the above subject. My stock exhaust on my 1985GT is starting to leak and basically I want to go from the stock headers into 2.5" pipes.......no cats..........into 2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers and that's it. I was told that I would lose power............is this true?

Reply to
Steph

Maybe

The larger pipes will cut down on the velocity of the exhaust gases. You may lose some low end torque, but you should pick up top end power. In a pass at the drag strip you should be faster, but it might be a little flat right at first. Will you notice it much probably not.

You said your motor is stock and you want to keep the stock headers. If this is a long term plan I would suggest staying with 2-1/4 pipes. However if want to upgrade anything motor wise in the future your better of buy

2-1/2 now even if it kills the bottom end a little so that you don't have to re buy parts when you start warming up the engine.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Reply to
Steph

Oh yeah if it isn't a true dual setup know don't forget to swap out your tranny cross memeber for a dual hump version. If you are planing on upgrades down the road go with the 2-1/2 as you'll put it to use later.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Reply to
Steph

Good answer except a stock 5.0 doesnt produce any high end power to speak of.. its essentially all over at 4500 rpm. Beyond that, you get sound and furry but not much else. The heads are so restrictive, I doubt he'll notice anything at all except more noise. Of course the noise will make him FEEL like hes going faster.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

What gets furry?? Sorry couldn't resist! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Even better, Tim aka Musttanguy has them for $30 each.

and scroll down a bit. Either ping him here, or drop him an e-mail at musttanguy(at)aol.competition (modify the obvious munging)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

You'll need the transmission cross-member and hanger bracket. 86-93

5.0Liter Mustangs used these parts. If you want them new, the Mustangs Unlimited website
X-member is listed as part # M5059A; The hanger bracket Part #F2658 01.

Or, you can do like I did and see if snipped-for-privacy@aol.com can get you the parts for cheap.

Just throw a jack stand under your trans while you change the cross-member and add the bracket. It's pretty easy. Worst is that the bolts connecting the cross-member to the body will probably be rusted into the sleeve inside the bushing.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim S.

Any particular reason you don't want cats on a street car???

Well.... the one variety, I get pissed over the footprints on the hood....

The other variety...... well...... we are sharing this air. Hasn't Quebec f*cked Canada up bad enough yet?

Reply to
Jim Warman