Muffers for 79 Vett

Suggestions for best "Street legal mufflers" hot but not to hot as to attract police attention. That fits in the standard location. A good deep throatily sound.The police in my small Alabama town love to write you up for improper exhaust system.

Thinking about Flowmaster 40's ?

1979 Corvette, headers, no smog equipment,dual exhaust. 383 stroker 400+ HP, Auto

Thanks, Denny

Reply to
Denny

Ravin Hi Perf. Mufflers . 16 ga. , BLack, gives a bit more side clearance to the rear quarters, they outflow FlowMaster, sounds really super, comes in 3 loudnesses (series 33 is the loudest and very low resistance) Available at Midas Muffler.. usually takes 3-4 days to get. For a sound bite :

Dave in Lake Villa

They must love Harleys.

Or do they look the other way on those? Never could understand how Harleys got away with drag pipes for years in places that nailed you for glasspacks on your car. I mean, removing the mufflers and installing straight pipes on a bike is obvious and illegal in many states, yet they get away with it for decades.

As to '79 mufflers, mine has those that look like the pipe splits into two pipes right at the back. There is a small muffler in each pipe, but you can't see it without looking (or probing) into the pipe. I think these are the Monza exhaust. Sound ok, but not very loud at all. they were on the car when I got it.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

================ They are Monza "Mufflers" and I run them on my 76 .... true dual exhaust, and without Cats... in other words what you see at the tips is what you get....

==============

1979 Corvette, headers, no smog equipment,dual exhaust.

=============== Who knows with headers etc...and with the 383... completely different set up then I run on any of mine....

BUT I can tell you that I have 72 (running a 68 327 350) a 76 which is a bone stock L48 and a 79 L82 only slightly modified...

3 Cars basically the same... NONE have cats....ALL are true duals . I have 3 exhaust systems 1.Chambered undercar (the 79) 2. Straight pipes with Flowmasters (the 72) 2. Straight pipes with those Monza tips (the 76)

Not let me say I like Loud cars... My 95 has been runnign WITHOUT mufflers for 5-6 years now... the Cats are still there however...

BELIEVE me I have swapped these 3 systems from car to car .. and I can tell you they sound completely different on one car then they do on another.. not even close...!

On a "stroker" with headers I would NOT have a clue what to expect any of these 3 systems to sound like...honest !

The Chambered on my 79 are so loud that I put the regular stock mufflers back on the ass end of the system just to be able to think ...unbearable sound inside the car with the windows up and the tops on..and not much better with the windows down...

Bob G. 64 & 72 Ragtops 76 79 & 95 Coupes

Reply to
Bob G.