Extremely Rough Times Ahead for The Blue Oval

It is not good times for our favorite brand. I say we should be grateful for the great Mustang/GT500 that we currently have and just hope that Ford has enough capital to give us some performance products in the future.

Read on for the depressing news.

Reply to
NoOption5L

I hope this is a cyclical period for Ford. They need new, desirable CARS (i.e. no more SUV's) immediately. I agree with the article that they have the most boring vehicle lineup going... worse, dare I say, than GM. They need to create hype by offering a Mercury Cougar variant of the Mustang and then systematically redesign every car in their lineup (except for the Mustang) and not focus so much of their resources on SUV's.

Ford's cars are not that bad, IMO, from a quality and engineering perspective. They are just bland as hell and their marketing has absolutely sucks for the last several years. Also, I think a big reason for their poor sales is they seem way too eager to kill off model names. Killing the Taurus was a huge blunder. How many people bought Taurus' over the years? It was millions. That name brand had a following and they just tossed it in the garbage. Can't they learn something from the Japanese? They will redesign a model from stem to stern but they keep the name. They have tremendous repeat business this way.

I don't see Ford merging with anyone for the foreseeable future. I think they will pull out of this but they may need to dump old Bill though. He has done nothing to impress me, except support the Mustang.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE