10 Worst Mustangs, EVER.

Do you agree?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

I began my Mustang life in a 1974 Mustang II with a six cylinder engine, and loved it enough to go on to own five more Mustangs over the years. Still, I'm okay with half the list being the 1974-1978 years. The OPEC-induced degradation of the Mustang carved about 14 years of performance out of the brand, if you think about it, and, while the Mustang II made sense at the time, it was a BAD move and nothing more than a place-holder. It was really the 1988 5.0's that brought us back to acceptable levels of Mustang performance, and look where we are now.

So, a soft spot in my heart for the II's, but I am a realist, after all.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The idea -- smaller, lighter, "sportier" -- was right. And the styling wasn't bad, for its day. It was just that the hardware/ execution was terrible -- the over reliance on plastic fairings/ scoops, louvers, stickers, and not trying to at least make the engine(s), suspension, and transmission(s) sporting.

I'd argue it started with the '82 GTs.

and look where we are now.

To levels way beyond our childhood dreams.

My wife, when we first meet, owned one too -- a dark blue '78. I used to manually shift the floor mounted automatic. Didn't do anything to help performance, but helped make it a little funner to drive.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

.

To go further, I'd say it was the 1982 campaign of "The Boss is Back" that signaled the "car guys" inside Ford finally had gotten ballsy enough to take over the asylum. An asylum that had forgotten 'it's all about the product.'

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Should not be on the list:

The '79 pace car, looks no worse than other "pace car" editions from various makes. The '79 however has become sort of an icon.

CS and high country specials: Too hyped, but that doesn't make them bad.

Mustang E: It's still a '69. It's not uglified, it's just slow. Lots of slow mustangs have been made in the name of economy with looks.

Reply to
Brent

mustang sprint sportsroof and convertible were nice ......

Reply to
Jimbo/m...

As with almost everything from jalopnik, they are mostly full of crap. Take a look at the number 1 "worst" and tell me whether you'd love to have someone give you a fully restored one like in the photo. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'd take one with a v6 in it. I had a buddy in the military with a v6 in the Cobra model (not the King Cobra). It seemed like a nice enough car at the time. Cobra decals were a bit to flashy for me, but the rest of the car wasn't bad. I'm not getting what's wrong with the California Edition. I love the grille. There is an 05 - 09 white one near where I live and another one at work, but these have the small fog lights. I'd like that grille on my v6. I like those small fogs. Many special edition cars are decal packages, spoilers, and lights. I didn't know that was a bad thing.

Reply to
twk

I had a 76 Cobra with the v6 engine. White with blue stripes (weren't they all) and I thought it was a fun car. It had the stick on louvers on the rear side windows. Looked pretty cool, but bandits in the night stole them. My son drove that car until the rust attacked it and the outside door panels were flapping in the breeze. I've been a Ford guy ever since, but I have fond memories of my 63 Chev 409 and my 68 Camaro.

Dick in MN

Reply to
Dickr

I save my disdain for the '68 Shelby GT350. All show, no go. With its grocery getter A Code 302 popping out 150 net horsepower (est.), this pig won't match up with a modern Honda Civic, whatever the venue. Truly a blot on the Shelby name.

Reply to
180 Out

Did Farrah Fawcett pose on it?

Wow, that takes me back...

Reply to
twk

Oops, I got distracted. Might have been the blond part. That car doesn't have the side stripe that I thought was just too much. Like this one:

Reply to
twk

Looka dat chit, one those Angel bimbos had already ran it up to a curb and bent the hell out of the lower air spoiler....

Reply to
WindsorFo

On 4/24/2012 3:40 PM, twk wrote Did Farrah Fawcett pose on it? Wow, that takes me back...

I worked with a fellow who always had interesting comments about everything. When I purchased the 76 Mustang, he commented; "Looks like Farrah's car, did you smell the seats?" Ah, no. :-) Dick

Reply to
Dickr