Finally, something ON topic. Car is cutting out on me.

89 GT, 308ci, stage 3 heads, o/r h pipe, 2 chamber flows, about 5k miles on the new motor.

If I don't let the motor run for 30 to 45 minutes before driving, then it cut out really bad while driving.

It does it under light throttle, WOT, maintaining speeds, and up to about

3500 rpms. It rarely cuts out while maintain a given speed while in fourth or fifth gear. By that time however, I am usually to the highway and everything has warmed up really good.

I get a lot of backfires, and a wonderful gas smell inside the cabin. It has been getting a bit worse by dying out anytime I give it gas while trying to take off. Sometimes it will do okay if I *REALLY* feather the clutch out at around 3500rpms. Kinda don't want to do that to much as I would hate to glaze over a brand new clutch.

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

TIA, Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Hey Don, since you are smelling gas, the problem seems like it might be spark related to me. I would suggest changing the coil, and cap and rotor to see what happens. I had a similar problem in my car, and it ended up being the coil. HTH, Erik D. '94 white lightning

2.3Sleeper wrote:
Reply to
Erik D.

That was my first thought today when it really started pissing me off. I only thought of the coil though, not the cap and rotor. The symptoms didn't seem right for that.

I thought maybe my ignition was shot also, the one inside the car. It seemed to be lose and a bit wiggly. However, while holding it perfectly still it still did it.

I am on the phone right now with the parts shop trying to track one down for they close.

Thanks Erik.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Want to trade for '66 289 with factory A/C & power steering? My ol' man refuses to leave it out of the garage, in the garage under a car cover, nah he's not a freak or anything, LOL Honestly, Don, GL with what's ailing ya!!

Reply to
KellyJ

Nope, not the coil. I think it is going to end up being the ECU. Anyone have an extra A9L computer laying around?

Anyhow, I am going to try another computer on Saturday. If that fixes it then I will wind up buying a new one I think.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Sorry to hear that Don. I really though it would be the coil. Try pinging musttanguy on the A9L, he probably has a hook up. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.