FREAKING EMISSIONS>HELP?

Every damn stang im looking to buy wont pass emissions... im looking to buy this stang and this guy says that it has an off road x-pipe and no cats... he says he does have a smog pump though... does anyone know what will i need to pass emissions besides cats and a new x-pipe?

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

What year?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

I love reading these questions from the person that calls so many people in this group stupid.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

the one im looking at is a 1990 gt...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Nope, i only call you stupid..And i always speak the truth...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Reply to
Gill

thanks for the link Gill....

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

hehe

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

I make it a point to only buy vehicles that have recently passed emissions testing. I don't want to spend big bux to fix some one elses problems; especially emissions problems.

Reply to
.boB

You will throw enough money at it to make it pass emissions...... You have, obviously, seen the car... we have not. Will it pass visual? No cats so I think there are regions it wont. After the cats are installed you can start to fix any remaining problems......

Honestly, this comes close to the "stupid" question..... you look at the requirements for your area - your area is yours and other areas can be diferent - Let us know your local requirements and what you have...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Passing emissions should be the seller's burden anyway.

Reply to
Ray Reynolds

Yeah, good point...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

At least in this state it is the sellers responsibility to make sure the vehicle passes a smog test. A buyer who allows the seller to waive this requirement is making their own life difficult.

If it were me, and the vehicle has been modified so that it will not /may not pass the test but it still requires testing, I would walk away.

But thats just me. I want a car and not a science experiment. My days of swapping motors to pass smog tests once a year are long past.

Steve

BeverlyOmasta wrote:

Reply to
steve

Hi I have found that all 5.0's mustangs and Marks have only problems with the cats. If you replace these it will pass. Throw on some cats and you shoud be fine. Get set off plugs. Autolite are good, set of good wires. Possibly clean the EGR. They sometimes throw off the Clean air computer. You good even throw on a good used set of cats just for testing and then put back on the x pipe. Hope this helps you.

Reply to
69GT4spdtrac-loc