Hard-starting; lean code

Well, my '98 3.8 six-cyl. takes three or so tries to start when cold....If temps overnight are moderate, it's not an issue.

After about a month of getting frustrated with that, I got an check engine light, which reported a half-lean condition. Not sure if they were related or not. Did some casting about, seemed that the Idle air control valve was a very likely suspect. So, I replaced that yesterday.

This morning I had the same starting problem. Once it starts, it revs about 1200 rpm. Then I shift it into reverse, rpms drop significantly, and if I am not quick on the throttle, it will stall.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
timbirr

Yeah... dont tell us what you think the code means, tell us the code!

None of the codes in my book say anything about 'half-lean'

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The codes:

p0174-system lean bank #2,

p1260 - theft detected - engine disable

Reply to
timbirr

Clean the MAF. Look for a vacuum leak... warm it, unhook IAC connector, spray water or unlit propane torch over all gasket mating area in intake/throttle body.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'll give it a shot, it has the black plastic MAF, any special considerations for removal/cleaning (I am planning o

n using electrical contact cleaner).

Reply to
timbirr

Thanks. Cleaning the MAF was the fix. It must be the original, it has a '97 date on it.....

Reply to
timbirr