head casting number help

Hi, I have a set of closed-chamber heads that I would like to get more information on (i.e. combustion chamber volume, valve diameter, make of car it was originally from). On the head it has the markings "68" presumably date of mold, "D2OE" and "302". From research using google, I think these are

1968 58cc hi-performance heads, but I want to be sure. Any ideas?
Reply to
Dick Ginther

D2 is 1972, not 1968. 68 heads, AFAIK, are open chamber heads, so these aren't 68's. Of course I could very easily be wrong. I have a set of C8 302 heads on my motor, which is the only reason I have some insight to them.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

The casting date could not have been any time in 1968 with a casting number of D2(OE), which is 1972+.

Reply to
Mick

They couldn't be 68 heads, D20E would be 72 or later.(D=70 2=72) A 68 head would be C80E or earlier.

Reply to
winze

Hi, I found this which states they are 71-74 302 heads with 58.2cc chamber and 1.78/1.45 I/E valve diameters.

It looks like all heads from that era were these close-chamber style. Does that seem right?

Reply to
Dick Ginther