Head light kits

I have an 88 Mustang Gt in bad need of some new head lights. Has anyone used the aftermarket kits, and if so is the fit and finish okay? Where is a good place to buy them? I remeber seeing the whole kit for $100, but now i can't remember where. Thanks, Justin Webb

Reply to
Justin Webb

Ebay maybe, or ping Musttanguy here in the group.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

What I'D really like is a kit to drop the old sealed-beam units into my '88 LX... (Without changing the whole front-end like converting to '85 sheet metal.) Ed

Reply to
Edmund W. Conen, III

Something similar for the '94-'98 would be nice too. I could design an assembly that could work I think. certainly for the '93 and earlier fox cars. It's the metal working skills to make the frames, the tooling to make lenses/trim so it looks nice, etc are the hard part for me.

Reply to
Brent P

Daniel Stern has an instruction set on doing that. I just didn't want to do all of that. Uless you are at least semi-mechanically inclined and are capable of "making" things work, don't buy APC's. If someone is interested I will be selling the APC clear lamps with the projector lamps in them, I have a different set I am going with.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I've played around with that idea myself. You'd need to cut up the header panel quite a bit to get the old style square two lamp beams and traditional bucket and aimers in there. It could be done but I was experimenting on a car that I needed to drive to work on Monday! I tried sizing the single four lamp style rectangular ( like the ones used on the Daytona's with pop up lights) but the bulb looked lost in the old opening! I even messed around with round beams. By the time you messed around and gathered the parts and fabbed up some frames you'd been better off buying new plastic housings. Luckily I scrapped a car that had fairly new ones put on it so oncw agian I can see at night! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Funny you should mention it....I'm in the process of collecting parts to customize my wife's '86 Mustang convertible. I want to get away from the rectangular sealed beams, so I'm going to fabricate a complete new fiberglass nose incorporating the front fender extensions and headlights from a '69 Mustang. (I chose '69 so I wouldn't have to convert from a four-light system to a two light system. In fact I won't have to do any wiring at all - even the plugs are the same!

aimers in there.

I scrapped a car

Reply to
rcp

Well I've had similar ideas myself. When my '87 beater finally dies I may get creative with it. My thoughts on the design are similar to yours by using the fender extensions and adapting them to the stock fox fenders. BTW I'll get out tomorrow and measure my '67 grill and rear taillight transom and post what I get. Ironically wiring is no big deal for me, I'm no body man but I'm pretty good with a torch! Too bad we weren't neighbours or we could collaborate!

BTW the Cutlass lights seem to be in two sections ( which kinda sucks for sequentials!) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

aimers in there.

Any idea what they did to fit them to the early SVOs? I think the first year or two was sealed-beam.

I'm interested in it for the better lighting AND the fact that I can get a replacement sealed-beam unit in Nowheresville on a Sunday afternoon AND for $15. New plastic housings still wouldn't be as good for any of these reasons. Ed

Reply to
Edmund W. Conen, III

The SVO had a unique header panel and front bumper cover. Ironically I think it was the inspiration for the '87 and up front ends.

I'm with you for the very same reasons actually. The only other avenue I have thought about was to use the smaller rectangular sealed beams that GM used in the mid '80's on some Buicks, Pontiacs and trucks. They aren't as cheap as regular sealed beams but you might be able to get both high and low beam set into the space the original Mustangs use.StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet