Help 95 Mustang 5.0 Pings like crazy...

Hi all I am in need of some advice on what is making my fiancees car ping so bad. It is a 1995 5.0 . My opinion is that is may be the hall effect sensor. But I wanted a few opinions from the experts in this group. People that have had these year cars that have had this problem and fixed it. I tryed to retard the timing , but no matter how much I back it down it doesnt fix it. It drives me crazy. Any opinions with experence in with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, CK

Reply to
Clark Kent

Is the EGR system connected and functioning correctly? Also consider the possibility of this being a "carbon rattle".... perhaps a "top engine cleaning" is in order.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'll ass back, the only things I have had experience with:

What grade of fuel are you using? Have you ever cleaned your mass airflow sensor? Like Jim said, how about that EGR valve?

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Better check your harmonic balancer!! sounds like its starting to wear out

Reply to
larrylass

Clark Kent wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Warm, cold, all the time?

Tip-in or WOT or whenever it's running?

If it was the pick-up, then adjusting the timing would have an effect.

If it's alla time, it probably isnt pinging... maybe something else like the balancer as noted.

If it's worse hot and on tip-in, but not as bad WOT, then maybe the MAF is dirty or cylinders carboned.

BTW: If the cylinders are carboned, tell her to romp that pony once in a while. Or change gas suppliers or both.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oh yea... you might REPLY when you find out what it is .

Reply to
SVTKate

It does it all the time. When it is cold it doesnt do it so bad. Cold you have to be WOT before you hear it. When it gets hot then it does it no matter how much you push the pedal. 1/4 petal and it acts like it has extreme bad gas. The detonation is unbareable. I have a older fox body cobra, that is now a 500hp weekend/show car. So I know about Mustang and their common problems , but this ? I retarded the timing

10 degrees and it had no effect on the problem. The EGR works fine. Balancer is good, no vibration in the motor. But the car has NO power. MAM is clean, fuel pressure is good. It runs and sounds lke the timing is advanced way too high. Next thing I am going to do is replace the distributor with a MSD unit. She wants to buy one for it anyway. I wanted to use a Fox body computer in it but now that Pro M is out of buisness I can no longer buy the conversion adaptor. A friend of mine had the same problem with his 95 Cobra 5.0 and all he did was install the Fox computer and it fixed it. I wish I had that option, I have a backup A9L. Thank you all for your replys. I will check out the carbon issue , however I dont think that is the problem. Oh and the check engine light does come on.

Thanks again all if anyone else has a idea please post it. If I find out what the problem is I will let you all know.

Thank you , CK

Reply to
Clark Kent