Shelby Drop for a '68?

All -

I was at the mid-America Mustang and Shelby show last week

There were some freaking AMAZINGcouncours Shelby Mustangs there (two 67 GT350s and a GT500). I mean theywere flawless.

Anyway, I mentioned to one of the guys who worked on the Shelbys that I did a Shelby drop on my 68 coupe based on some templates I had found on the 'Net and comments from this group. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that it would never drive right and I would never be able to get it aligned.

Has anyone actually done a Shelby drop on a 67-68? The car is still up on the rack with no suspension parts in yet and I want to set it back if this was a dumb thing to do.

Thanks, Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

As I understand it (I did the Shelby Drop on my 65 FB) the problem is more apparent with non radial tires. That if the problem appears after the drop is done, then there is a kit which will correct it. The name of the kit escapes me at the moment. The drop was done with a negative Wedge kit. Both kits are produced by pro motorsports. Got mine through Mustangs Plus

I'm running radials, and have not had any problem.

As for alignment, there is also a vario centric kit available (same brand and source). There are two separate kits. One for 64-66 and one for 67 and later.

Finally, the alignment shop I use is run by a guy who races pro on short tracks, and his team are all pro mechanics. When the subject of alignment came up, I made sure he knew I had the drop done (and one of his employees had already spotted it) he said they just do the alignment to the Shelby specs, and then work from there if any fine tuning is needed.

Sorry, I couldn't be more specific as to the names of the kits, but hope the info helps some.

Reply to
Spike

It's a perfectly fine option. the fact that they were not familiar with the 1" drop says something about their knowledge of shelbys. Chip

Reply to
chip

You may indeed have trouble with alignment. It's not as straightforward a change as it is in '65s, the shock towers are significantly different.

Not dumb, but maybe not worth the pain. I had it in mind for my '67 and didn't do it, because of the "one more mod" syndrome. As problematic as the early model front ends are, I didn't want to be changing the geometry and then wondering about premature wear on a bunch of stuff

Reply to
Wound Up