Help w/ rough idle and poor gas mileage

Like you say the problem is getting worst and it is driving me nuts.

Reply to
Pepito

Pepito opined in news:2004111917114875249%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspringcom:

On the injector fuel rail.. just forward of the upper intake, see above.

Much time might have been saved if you had mentioned tha gas smell in the exhaust earlier... EVERY odd thing may count!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Will the Fuel Pressure Regulator cause really rough iddle besides poor gas mileage?

Reply to
Pepito

Pepito

Ummmm let's see.

Open your hood and count the bits and pieces under there.

Yet i'm telling you there's a 80% chance it's just ONE of those many bits.

What do you think

IN TRUTH, the rough idle is the FIRST INDICATOR of a bad FPR

Quick explanation.. The computer has two modes. Open loop and closed loop.

Only in closed loop does the engine measure the exhaust makeup and it only goes into closed loop when it's at running temp and the conditions are right for it to measure exhaust makeup.

If almost ALL of your engine running time was on th efreeway at speed you wouldnt notice much of a drop in mileage thiogh you would still have the idle problem.

If you're interested in how your and other modern cars work go to the library and read Charles Probst' books.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the help BM and the rest of the guys, I will replace the FPR tomorrow.

Reply to
Pepito

Update: I replaced the FPR today and still have the same rough idle, any other ideas? replace the spark plugs maybe?

Reply to
Pepito

Brian I am about to go nuts with this problem. I experience really rough idle no matter if the car is cold or hot, it can happen at any time. I have no error codes, the car runs kind of smooth after few bad sensors being replaced and the EGR valve was replaced less than two months ago. How can you detect where the leak is (if there's any) or if the EGR is malfunctioning? Thanks a bunch for your help.

Reply to
Pepito