Hey American Friends

Me and the wife are seriously thinking of taking a road trip from Calgary into the American Southwest this September... as we love the desert. Any of you guys live in this general area? Anywhere we might want to look to visit beside the obvious Vegas/Palm Springs/San Diego... I'd appreciate any advice from the locals. Thanks!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

WA State on the Olympic Penn. is really nice.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

If you go thru the four corners area (AZ, NM, CO, UT) you can see the Indian reservations in NE AZ, then head down and over to the Grand Canyon. You can either drive to and thru the Grand Canyon (on top) or you can just head down to Flagstaff (nice pine tree area) and then west to Williams and take the excursion train back to the North to the Canyon. Depending on how much desert you want to see you could go down to Phx, then south to I-8 and then west to Yuma. Visit the Territorial prison when there. Or you can go farther South first from Phx to Tucson and then down toward Sierra Vista and Tombstone (they died with their boots on, OK Corral) and Bisbee, and old mining town. On the way down from Flagstaff, you can also take the back roads (all paved) and take a side trip up to the town of Jerome, a re-inhabited mining Ghost town. There is also an interesting Truck Museum on the outskirts of Jerome.

What I have done in the past when planning these sorts of long sightseeing trips is to join the AAA and then get their trip guide books along with maps for all the areas I potentially might travel thru. They cover most all of the major attractions. There are some other interesting spots to visit depending on what kinds of things interest you beside the general idea of "desert". ONce you've had enough desert you could head to Los Angeles and then take highway 1 up the coast to San Francisco. San Fran and surrounding area is nice to visit if you've never been there before and the trip up on Highway one is very nice. You can tour Winchester House and Hearst Castle on the way up. ALso can visit Disneyland or Knotsberry Farm or Magic Mountain if you like amusement parks. If you have the time you can go farther south and visit mexico, either just the border towns or farther in to Rocky Point or similar tourist destinations.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Jim, thanks man! And Carl too. Some serious ideas here. Gotta go to Yahoo Travel and try to figure this out. Bottom line is that we love the American SW. It is so beautiful. And hot! :) And yes, I've heard the trip between LA and SF is very nice.

BTW, is going across the border into Mexico risky in any way... can you tell I'm Canadian?!?! :) Are the accommodations good? WHT if (god forbid) the 5.0 ever broke down? Are the police even 1/2 way honest? I'd appreciate any advice on this too!

Thanks!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

Thanks guys. That's where 99% of us Canadians spend out holiday money, America. Maybe I'll just keep it there for right now. God, I've lost so much $ in Vegas it's scary. And spent money like a sailor in Hawaii, Florida, California, etc... Mexico has a certain charm, but the US is the place to kick back and relax. If you get sick, you're okay; if you crash your car, it gets fixed; if you get robbed, the police don't do you again... thanks for the advice guys! Look for a red 93 GT this September with Alberta plates... that'll be me! :)

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

Good Choice! I'll be in Texas in September, but I won't be seeing much of anybody (will be in Basic training). Have fun!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

You bet Carl. 10-1 I end up in San Diego this summer. The wife loves the zoo there and it is world class. It should be a great road trip...

Have fun in basic training. I've done it and it's fun, and it's not. :) But the friendships you make should last a life time...

Brad S

re-inhabited

Reply to
Brad

The Mexican Police will stop you for no reason and you will have to give them a bribe.

Reply to
GILL

If you come to California... you MUST go to Monterey and take a day to go through the Wine Country... Napa. It's beautiful, and then stop and have a look at Yosemite.

It's not the desert, but a helluva lot nicer than the congestion of San Diego.

Kate

"AZGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:18:38 GMT, "Brad" wrote: | | >Me and the wife are seriously thinking of taking a road trip from Calgary | >into the American Southwest this September... as we love the desert. Any of | >you guys live in this general area? Anywhere we might want to look to visit | >beside the obvious Vegas/Palm Springs/San Diego... I'd appreciate any | >advice from the locals. Thanks! | >

| >Brad S | >

| | If you go thru the four corners area (AZ, NM, CO, UT) you can see the | Indian reservations in NE AZ, then head down and over to the Grand | Canyon. You can either drive to and thru the Grand Canyon (on top) or | you can just head down to Flagstaff (nice pine tree area) and then | west to Williams and take the excursion train back to the North to the | Canyon. Depending on how much desert you want to see you could go | down to Phx, then south to I-8 and then west to Yuma. Visit the | Territorial prison when there. Or you can go farther South first from | Phx to Tucson and then down toward Sierra Vista and Tombstone (they | died with their boots on, OK Corral) and Bisbee, and old mining town. | On the way down from Flagstaff, you can also take the back roads (all | paved) and take a side trip up to the town of Jerome, a re-inhabited | mining Ghost town. There is also an interesting Truck Museum on the | outskirts of Jerome. | | What I have done in the past when planning these sorts of long | sightseeing trips is to join the AAA and then get their trip guide | books along with maps for all the areas I potentially might travel | thru. They cover most all of the major attractions. There are some | other interesting spots to visit depending on what kinds of things | interest you beside the general idea of "desert". ONce you've had | enough desert you could head to Los Angeles and then take highway 1 up | the coast to San Francisco. San Fran and surrounding area is nice to | visit if you've never been there before and the trip up on Highway one | is very nice. You can tour Winchester House and Hearst Castle on the | way up. ALso can visit Disneyland or Knotsberry Farm or Magic | Mountain if you like amusement parks. If you have the time you can go | farther south and visit mexico, either just the border towns or | farther in to Rocky Point or similar tourist destinations. | ----------------- | Jim | '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) | '89 LX 5.0 vert | '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver | Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
SVTKate

No freaking way would I take MY Mustang to Mexico.

If you get in even a minor fender bender, they may throw your ass in jhail, and they look for tourists to crash into.

We went to San Jose de Cabo on vacation in May, it was wonderful, but we took taxis rather than renting a car. You might walk out of a restarant and find an empty spot where you Stang had been. Your insurance may not cover you there either, I know mine doesn't on a rent-a-car.

Yup, I'm a coward. In this case, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

"Brad" wrote in message news:99rSa.490227$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.calgary.shaw.ca... | | "AZGuy" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | > On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:18:38 GMT, "Brad" wrote: | >

| > >Me and the wife are seriously thinking of taking a road trip from Calgary | > >into the American Southwest this September... as we love the desert. Any | of | > >you guys live in this general area? Anywhere we might want to look to | visit | > >beside the obvious Vegas/Palm Springs/San Diego... I'd appreciate any | > >advice from the locals. Thanks! | > >

| > >Brad S | > >

| > If you go thru the four corners area (AZ, NM, CO, UT) you can see the | > Indian reservations in NE AZ, then head down and over to the Grand | > Canyon. You can either drive to and thru the Grand Canyon (on top) or | > you can just head down to Flagstaff (nice pine tree area) and then | > west to Williams and take the excursion train back to the North to the | > Canyon. Depending on how much desert you want to see you could go | > down to Phx, then south to I-8 and then west to Yuma. Visit the | > Territorial prison when there. Or you can go farther South first from | > Phx to Tucson and then down toward Sierra Vista and Tombstone (they | > died with their boots on, OK Corral) and Bisbee, and old mining town. | > On the way down from Flagstaff, you can also take the back roads (all | > paved) and take a side trip up to the town of Jerome, a re-inhabited | > mining Ghost town. There is also an interesting Truck Museum on the | > outskirts of Jerome. | >

| > What I have done in the past when planning these sorts of long | > sightseeing trips is to join the AAA and then get their trip guide | > books along with maps for all the areas I potentially might travel | > thru. They cover most all of the major attractions. There are some | > other interesting spots to visit depending on what kinds of things | > interest you beside the general idea of "desert". ONce you've had | > enough desert you could head to Los Angeles and then take highway 1 up | > the coast to San Francisco. San Fran and surrounding area is nice to | > visit if you've never been there before and the trip up on Highway one | > is very nice. You can tour Winchester House and Hearst Castle on the | > way up. ALso can visit Disneyland or Knotsberry Farm or Magic | > Mountain if you like amusement parks. If you have the time you can go | > farther south and visit mexico, either just the border towns or | > farther in to Rocky Point or similar tourist destinations. | > ----------------- | > Jim | > '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) | > '89 LX 5.0 vert | > '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver | > Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle | cable. | | | Jim, thanks man! And Carl too. Some serious ideas here. Gotta go to Yahoo | Travel and try to figure this out. Bottom line is that we love the American | SW. It is so beautiful. And hot! :) And yes, I've heard the trip between | LA and SF is very nice. | | BTW, is going across the border into Mexico risky in any way... can you | tell I'm Canadian?!?! :) Are the accommodations good? WHT if (god | forbid) the 5.0 ever broke down? Are the police even 1/2 way honest? I'd | appreciate any advice on this too! | | Thanks! | | Brad S | |

Reply to
SVTKate

If you decide to come through central California.. give a holler Brad!

Kate

| > Carl | >

| > > Jim, thanks man! And Carl too. Some serious ideas here. Gotta go to | > Yahoo | > > Travel and try to figure this out. Bottom line is that we love the | > American | > > SW. It is so beautiful. And hot! :) And yes, I've heard the trip | > between | > > LA and SF is very nice. | > >

| > > BTW, is going across the border into Mexico risky in any way... can you | > > tell I'm Canadian?!?! :) Are the accommodations good? WHT if (god | > > forbid) the 5.0 ever broke down? Are the police even 1/2 way honest? | I'd | > > appreciate any advice on this too! | > >

| > > Thanks! | > >

| > > Brad S | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Brad, Some good advice. I was in Mexico for 11 days in April, but we flew to Mazatlan. I really love it there and would go back in a heart beat. That was our 3rd time. We may try a different Pacific Mexican town next time. As far as the desert, I kinda like it too. It starts pretty far north. A little of the southern part of BC even reminds me of some of our high plains desert here in the southwestern Idaho area.. Southern Utah has some awesome scenery, along with northern Arizona. The Saguaro National Monument is very interesting. A forest of cactus west and east of Tucson AZ. South of Tucson you also have "Old Tucson", a town built for movies, where many westerns and other films were filmed. You also have Death Valley In CA. along with Mono Lake, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Volcanic Nat. Park, and all of the Oregon Coast, Hiway 101 is awesome. (not desert) BTW I'm originally from the Toronto area, saw Idaho in 74 for the first time, and after visiting every year moved here in 78. I love the west in general. There's a Mustang show in Missoula MT Labor Day weekend, and a friend of mine from Calgary will be going, along with some other guys from there and Edmonton too. "The International Mustang Show".

Have a safe trip, whereever you go.

-- HOG FVR - 96FXDWG BULLITT 2050 - Mustang GT BULLITT

HOG FVR

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. You HAVE to see the tram here

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

I would definitely say visit Tombstone as well. Having grown up and graduated from high school there I can tell you there's a TON of touristy kinds of stuff to do, as well as in bisbee.

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

I can vouch for that they're not nearly as nice of places as "inland". Beware of beggars, thieves, and in general bad food and water (whatever you do DO NOT EAT OR DRINK in Nogales unless it is a SEALED BOTTLE! Your rear will thank you when you leave.)

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

not a prob :) be sure to stop by the owl cafe on eubank and menaul too, they have some freakin awesome car shows on either tues, thurs or friday (can't remember which). I'm trying to think of other cool touristy type things around here, but am drawing a blank. I know there's a ton here I just can't think of them.

Oh, thought of another. Usually on friday and saturday nights there's some kind of fine arts thing going on at the UNM campus. I loved going to the orchestra there. I don't know if there's anything going on right now, but I know that school starts there in august/septemberish so there should be something going on by then.

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

Brad,

I was pretty impressed by Meteor Crater when I visited a couple of years ago..

Scott

Reply to
Scott Stevenson