Just got back from Arizona!!!

Hey all,

Well, me and the wife just finished our 6,540km (4,060 mile) trip from Calgary, AB, down through Montana and Idaho, through Salt Lake, into Vegas then Scottsdale, and back up again! 12 great days in the 5.0....

The trip was, in a word, AMAZING! I saw stuff I have never seen before, and indeed, never even knew existed! I hope you Yanks appreciate how beautiful your country is. I was stunned. Zion national park is probably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Bryce Canyon, unbelievable. The Grand Canyon, the amazing rock outcroppings along highway 93 between Vegas and Phoenix (how ARE those made anyway?!?!), the beautiful coral sand dunes in Utah, and from Tombstone to the Navajo pottery we bought, the blistering sun, clear blue skies... it was the trip of a lifetime! Incredible!

As for Stang related things, the 5.0 drove flawlessly. She loved the I-15. In Nevada and Arizona, I was cruising at 100mph with ease. Barely any troopers, perfect weather... what else could I do. My battery did die in Phoenix however. The boys at Lou Dobbs Ford said that a 5-year battery in Montana for example would last 2 years in Phoenix. They recommended I buy a dry cell, which I did. Seems to work great.

Things I noticed about America:

Guys on donorcycles (motorbikes) don't wear any gear. Driving at 60mph, no helmet, no leather... they're a bunch of donor organs riding a bike. Amazingly stupid.

The drivers are very aggressive in Phoenix. That 101 is like a Nascar track. Not saying I didn't like it, but you had to stay awake on that road...

I saw practically no 5.0s, but lots and lots of 6cyl convertible Stangs. They seem to be the big thing down there...

Finally, I went to the Phoenix car show at Indian and the 101 Andy told me about. I saw many great Stangs, from some very sweet stock 60s cars, to a nice original 84 GT350, to some totally tricked out 90s cars. A lot of money obviously went into these. They were all great. One thing you all can help me with... when the 3 guys in the pearl white 66 left (great car!) they all took towels out of the trunk and put them on the seats before they sat down... what's up with that? First time I've ever seen that!

Well, thanks all who chipped in on what to see and do. We were there for almost 2 weeks and needed at least two more just to see Arizona. I now see why millions of Canadians venture down there every year. Beautiful country!!!

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

One thing you all can

Speaking from experience they must have had leather seats for their interior. On a hot sunny day these can blister the sking on your thjghs right thru your jeans. Towels make it possible to sit on.

Or they were being very concientious of not getting any wearage (is that a word?) on their interior in order to maintain the pristine condition.

Reply to
Matt

Brad opined in news:uNd9b.3959$CU3.2965@pd7tw3no:

Well... drop the shoe. Did wifey suggest taking next trip in, say, a crown vic?

NOpe. Last bastion of "rugged individuals" against overprotective restrictive authorities determined to save us from ourselves. Some humans have a NEED to live with and survive risk. Sorta like those who braved the perils of the North American West

Social Liberals cant understand that

Thus many fewer accidents (and vehicle emissions) per vehicle/mile than a main surface street. Happens all the time. Social Liberals cant understand that

Sweat, Body oils

Like Aircraft and old western sets?

Next time go on down to Tucson.... Go to the Pima County air museum, adjacent to the World's Largest Aircraft Storage and salvage yard

Social Liberals cant understand these, either.

BTW, Canada has some pretty spectacular stuff too. Spent sevral summers as a kid in primitve resort/camp in Upper Lake Huron area.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That's probably because in Canada your vinyl seat covers won't blister your hide when the car is parked in the sun! Many times I've roasted my butt/thighs on the black vinyl seats on my '64.5.

bill

64.5: 260, 3 sp, a/c, SVO cam, Performer, Holley 390, Pertronix, Hi-Po exhaust, 1.5" front & 1" rear drop, Jacobs wires, Torq D's

66: '93 5.0, C4, a/c, ps, Performer RPM, Holley 600, Pertronix, bench seat

Colt SP1,Sig P220, Moss. 590A1, Marlin 70P

Reply to
bill

yup, I replace mine every other year. The pro-rated warranty is not a good deal here for the manufacturers. I usually get the cheapest battery, they don't last long anyways with this heat.

yup, they're stupid. Typical outfit is flipflops, shorts and a t-shirt... not me.

yup again. There's lots of accidents too. Glad you made it out alive.

They're here. One's in my garage :-)

The sun gets the leather seats so hot it will hurt your legs if you wear shorts. One of the reasons I don't want leather here in az.

Rein

Glad you enjoyed Arizona :) Sorry I didn't meet you at the show!! My girlfriend ended up in the hospital Saturday night which took precedence over the show of course...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I am one Yank that does appreciate the beauty. I take every opportunity I can for a southwest road trip! :)

We call them Squids. Don't know the *exact* source for the term, but general concensus is "Squirrly kid, inevitably dead" Profile: Young kid either living w/parents or just moved out, spent every last dollar he had on a Japanese bullet bike, and is financing the rest. The other profile is the Poser: Yuppie, thirtysomething or early 40s, dentist/lawyer/accountant/whiteboy type. Spends $22k (u.s.) on a Harley Davidson, another $6k on chrome, and $1k on a cool leather jacket & outfit and of course the 1/2 helmet. Paddles his bike at low speeds and doesn't know how to turn.

We have *tons* of those.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

They call them squids because that's what they look like when they hit the road. A mass of invertebrate jelly like goo.;^) StuK

snip

Reply to
Stuart&Janet