How do you call new muscle cars? "SOOOOOEEEEE!!""

New Charger SRT, 4500lbs, new Shelby 4150lbs!! New Boss 3665lbs (nice!). Challenger SRT 392 4200lbs or so. My first 88 LX 5.0L weighed about 3200lbs. Are we going to blame all of this extra FLAB on airbags??!!

Reply to
Rich

Thus spake Rich :

I can't remember. Isn't the rule of thumb 7 lb = 1 hp? And those last 50 hp cost as much as the first 500?

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Well, in order to have have 800hp they had to find some way to add weight. I think, all the wiring is now made of lead, making lead equal in price to GAS! How ironic! Leaded GAS!

Reply to
Gill

The blame goes to 1) safety regs -- i.e. the steel beams required in doors. And 2) options like ABS, multi-speaker stereos and power everything -- the shit adds up. Plus 3), with damn near every engine these days making north of 300 HP, more robust drive lines, chassis/ platforms, brakes, etc. also increase the poundage.

Patrick

Reply to
Suzanne McKenzie

It's all that heavy plastic combined with the weight of that sticker on the window.

My 1965 C Code fastback could smoke the tires. My 1965 A Code fastback can smoke the tires.

My mint condition C Code cost me $1000(plus $65 finacing from the bank for 12 months) in 1970.

My A Code pile of parts cost me $900 in 2002 and after a LOT of work and $40,000 is doing great.

Specifications for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang: Wheelbase, inches: 108.0 Length, inches: 181.6 Curb-weight range, pounds: 2,445-2,800 (1965); 2,488-2,800 (1966) Width, inches: 68.2

Engine Types for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang: I-6: 170 cubic inches; 101 horsepower I-6: 200 cubic inches; 120 horsepower V-8: 260 cubic inches; 164 horsepower V-8: 289 cubic inches; 200-306 horsepower

Transmissions for the 1965, 1966 Ford Mustang: Automatic: 3-speed Manual: 3-speed, 4-speed

Yep. Gotta be the weight of all that plastic!

Reply to
D E Willson

But, some pigs can fly quite well!

Dick

Reply to
Dickr

Dickr wrote in news:UElqp.25927$0s5.11905 @newsfe17.iad:

Still, I can't help wondering what would happen if they stuck the Boss engine in a lightweight, 2500lb body. Yeah, I know, it would cost a lot more. It could be time to shrink the Mustang, and lose the rear seat.

Reply to
Rich

Way back in the 70s, I had a "shrunken" Mustang II with a v6 engine. The Cobra Mustang II with a V8 was also available at that time. The v6 was a fun car to drive, and I can imagine one of those little buggies with a Boss engine and very large rear tires. Wahoo!

Dick in MN

Reply to
Dickr

Dickr wrote in news:P0_xp.6976$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

Just like enthusiasts putting 350's in Vegas. What I can't figure out is why not shrink it a bit, or put it on a diet? The cost of raw materials alone (4000lbs worth) has got to be up there nowadays. My 1988 had ultra- thin window glass. How about today?

Reply to
Rich