How to remove magnetic antennae from trunk???

I got the XM radio antennae put on my trunk. The guy put it on with 2 sided tape in addition to the magnetic base. What is the best way to remove said anennae withouth ruining the paint too bad on the trunk??

The Billy

Reply to
The Billy

First, may I suggest that you go back to the place that installed it, find the idiot that actually did the work, and then give him a sound beating?

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

Ooops, sorry....THEN gently try to peel it off the trunk while spraying WD40 in between the detached part of the tape and the body of the car. When done, be sure to wash the area completely (might as well do the whole car...lol) and apply some wax to the area in question. WD40 is a solvent, so you don't want it sitting on the paint for an indefinite amount of time.

I did this with some factory emblems on another care of mine and it worked fine.....YMMV

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I'll add, if the antenna doesn't feel like it wants to just "peel" off, try working some dental floss in underneath the base to try and "cut" the tape.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

If your paintwork is 2pk or 3pk or has been clearcoated (a coat of 'varnish' over the paint), you can us SPARINGLY and in a controlled manner some acetone (you can use your wife/girlfriends nail polish remover for this, just ask her first ;-) ). This will dissolve the adhesive pretty quickly! If you're not sure on the paint finish, don't do it, or try rubbing some with a cloth on a part of the car that c an't be seen - any color comes off, STOP!

Good luck.....and don't go back to the place that done it!

Kevin "The Billy" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
elmo

Reply to
David E. Willson

Whoa there ..... WD40 will cause fish eyes on paint ... NEVER NEVER use it on painted finish. As for acetone be very careful and I believe it is Non-acetone nail polish remover that is a better choice. There is a product called gunk be gone that is available at hardware stores, Target, etc that I have used to remove double sided tape residue that caused no paint damage. Always clean area and reprotect (wax on cars) when using any corrosive chemical on a painted finish.

Reply to
Sustang

I, nor any of my friends who have used it, never had it cause paint damage of any kind. This is after using it to take off factory emblems, door guards, bumper stickers, etc., etc. As long as you wash the area (or whole car if you wish) thoroughly and apply wax or other paint protectant, you will not have a problem.

As for acetone be very careful and I believe

Okay, so you suggest using what is essentially paint remover - a much stronger solvent than what they put in WD40. Yeah, you know what you're talking about

There

Always clean area and reprotect (wax on cars)

At least you got part of it right.

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I've never had any paint issues when I got WD-40 on it...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Always wondered how to get rid of bumperstickers... that actually works?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
David E. Willson

What about getting stickers (ie: high school sticker--my girlfriend's car

*sigH*) off the rear windshield?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Razor Blade in a scraper.

Reply to
Scott Williams

To remove window/bumper /dealer stickers - Use a hairdryer! It heats the glue leaving it nice and soft, then just peel off and clean. If there are traces of glue left, just keep heating them!

Kevin "Scott Williams" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
elmo

Hey, Iggy - Acetone will not remove the surface of painted surfaces if they've been cured correctly, or depending on the type of paint used! Hence, when I said to check on a part of the car that is not seen, this is just an added security to make sure the paint is 2/3pk or has been clearcoated. When I get tarspots on the front of my car or motorbike, I used (VERY SPARINGLY) some acetone on a cloth. I learned the hard way though a long time ago to test on a small area, as I used it to remove a load of grease from my windscreen once, and just tipped it on from the bottle - needless to say there wasn't much paint left on the hood or fenders after that! Acetone can be used, but very sparingly and with extreme care!

(You can un-roll your eyes now, if you like)

Kevin

"SRQEagan" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com...

Reply to
elmo