Wrangler Sat Radio Install

The only reason they say metal is because the antenna is magnetic. Metal is not required for reception (at least on the Delphi). I have service with XM and have the Delphi SKYFi radio. In most vehicles I simply put the antenna up on the dash and it works great. I have not tried it on the Jeep yet, but with the mostly vertical windshield it may not work very good from inside. The first place I will try is the front cowl... right in front of the windshield. To mount it on your hardtop (which would be best reception), you would need some double sided sticky tape.

Reply to
JimG

I'm from Nebraska and radio stations are about as plentiful as rocks around here so I'm considering a Satellite radio for my '00 Wrangler with a hard top. I was wondering where to mount the antenna. The brochure says must be mounted on metal and I'm not real fond of the idea of mounting it on the hood. Anyone have any ideas? Was considering mounting on one of the rear fender wells but don't know if this will get enough signal through the hard top. Any and all help is appreciated.

Reply to
ROK KRLR

I did an install in my bud's Rover D90 a couple months ago. We found that having it on metal did make a difference. Since he's got aluminum instead of steel, we cut a piece of steel (old baking pan) and put it on the visor. This kept the antenna hidden inside and he gets great reception right through for fiberglass top.

Reply to
Shamus in CO

It is a magnetic antenna. Put it anywhere and see what happens. That said, it should be able to see through the hardtop without any problems at all.

Reply to
CRWLR

OK... after speaking from experience, I get home and read the instructions on my Delphi mobile antenna, it does specify a metal surface for best results, and never from inside the vehicle. So like CRWLR said, put it around the Jeep anywhere and see what works best for you.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Jim, the instructions saying "never from inside the vehicle" aren't taking into account the Jeep's fiberglass or soft top. Neither of those tops will impede reception in the least. The antenna could be mounted on top of the steel rollbar if it's one of the smaller low-profile antennas that are available for satellite radio reception.

Jerry

reception),

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That's where I have mine mounted. It's sitting right on top of the rollbar. I get fantastic reception.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

I agree Jerry. I was just reading from the instruction that also say for convertible vehicles, put the antenna on the trunk. As stated in my earlier post, mine works great on a vinyl dash from inside the car.

JimG

instructions

appreciated.

Reply to
JimG

So where have you guys installed your satellite radios in your Jeeps? I had one installed in my wife's minivan and it looks good, but is a bit inconvenient. I'd like not to have that problem in my Jeep but haven't come up with a suitable location. Opinions? tks. mc

98 TJ Sport
Reply to
Mike Cagle

Reply to