Importing SN95 into The Netherlands (Europe)

Ok, I just got word from the Dutch Mustang club. Who've dealt with this isssue repeatedly. The short and skinny is.

Unless an SN95 has ABS and automatic transmission, the Dutch DOT (RDW) will not give it a roadworthy certification based on car type.

So I guess if my relocation to Holland does come to life, It would be without Pony. Not something I would enjoy and a big mark on the con side.

Sure, I can trade her for an newer model with ABS and auto tranny. But I'd have to own that one for at least 6 months or pay up the wazoo in import duties. Add to that the fact I'm not all that fond of an auto tranny in a Mustang...

Reply to
Paul

It probably blows the budget, but you could put in an AOD and ABS then put the 5 speed back in once it's past the inspectors....

Reply to
Brent P

at 24 Nov 2003, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:cqywb.224848$ao4.810880@attbi_s51:

It would blow the budget. And I'd have to do it every year as in Holland they have yearly mandatory vehicle inspections. :-(

Reply to
Paul

they'd really know the trans was changed and care?

Reply to
Brent P

Damn ...sucky situation. Hope things work out for ya.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

at 25 Nov 2003, Brent P [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:fUBwb.294684$HS4.2666751@attbi_s01:

It's garages that do it. The local one I'd use would not care, but they have to submit their results to the Dutch DMV, which picks random ones and retests. Those cars get gone over with a fine toothcomb and yes, the tranny change would show up as it's on the Dutch 'pink slip' equivalent and would not tally...

Reply to
Paul

It's an omen Paul, you have to stay here. Pleeease!!!!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

at 25 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:GSJwb.23366$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com:

*grinning* I may have to. I'd hate tohave to leave Pony behind as I don't wanna go back to 1.8L 4 bangers....
Reply to
Paul

how much of a difference does the 6 months make ? I am also in the US and might also one day move back there...

Rein

at 25 Nov 2003, Rein [ snipped-for-privacy@NO-SPAMyahoo.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you've owned it for 6 months, there are no import duties on the vehicle. Which they calculate over what Dutch customs calues the vehicle for, based on the Dutch market. The con is that if you do it this way, you can't sell it, trade it or give it away for 12 months.

For more info see

Paul

so no bpm added either ? That link didn't work.

thanks

Rein

at 26 Nov 2003, Rein [ snipped-for-privacy@NO-SPAMyahoo.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I doubt you'll be able to skirt the BPM. Haven't checked on that yet.

Weird, worked for me but resolves to a different URL now:

Check the 'verhuizen' link bottom right...

You're welcome...

Reply to
Paul

An auto isn't all that bad, especially in a '95 V6. I should know, I use to own one. :)

Just upgrade the fluid to Merc> Add to that the fact I'm not all that fond of an auto

Reply to
Walt