Installing SpeedCal on 2001 Mustang GT

Hi everyone,

I'm having 3.73 gears installed on my 01 GT next week, and from what I understand I'll need to recalibrate my speedo after the install. I notice most of you recommend the Dallas Mustang SpeedCal. Just curious if this is a home garage install or is it best left to a shop to put this in? How complicated is the install for a do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
N4esa

I thought the speedcal wouldn't work on 99+. If I'm remembering correctly you'll need a chip.

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

What I heard was the speedcal works fine on the 5spds, but not on the Autos... for that you need a chip. Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

Yep, that's right. For 99-up AODE you gotta recal via a chip or computer reflash. For 99-up 5-spd. either this or the SpeedCal will work.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Oh, that's right. I remember looking into the speedcal when I still had my auto v6. Hmmm.... Guess I should get one of these then since I'm doing gears soon too.

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

ok, so the gears and speedcal are ordered. Has anyone bought one of these and can give us any tips on the install? does it come with instructions?

Reply to
MustangMan03GT

It comes with quite good instructions and is not a difficult operation. The most tedious part is releasing the pins from the connector shell. It's important not to get too anxious and break the retainer clips. A micro flat-blade screw driver or even a large sewing needle will help in releasing the pins. It'll make a lot more sense when you have the parts in hand and can visualize the whole procedure.