Intermittent problems with 98 Mustang - blinkers, theft light and dome light

I have been having an intermittent problem with my 98 Mustang, and am curious if they all could be related, and what the possible problem is.

My blinkers will occasionally sound like they are blinking extremely fast. When that happens the blinker light will not light up on the dash board. If I turn off the blinker and turn it back on it will usually blink correctly.

Occasionally after I start my vehicle the theft light will continue to flash, when usually it turns off after a second or to. If I turn the vehicle off and then on again the theft light operates normally. I do not have the anti-theft module installed, just keyless entry.

Some times my dome light will not turn off after the vehicle door is closed. I did double check to make sure I had not accidentally turned it on some how. The only thing I was able to do was to remove the bulb. I tested it for several days, and the light would light right back up when the bulb was re-inserted, after about a week it stopped.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Reply to
ladywader

I had the same problem as you with the turn signal switch. I searched the web and it turned out to be a common problem. I was planning on replacing the turn-signal lever on the steering column over the next weekend and a few days prior the problem mysteriously went away. That has also happened to others.

Anyway, you may have to replace the switch. It's around a $60 part, so it's not too bad.

Check the link below for some more info. Good luck.

Marc

Marc

I have the turn signal issue on my '97. Everytime I try to make it happen in garage to see if a bulb is burned out and it works fine. No dome light or theft light issues though. (no alarm as well)

Reply to
Brent P

The computer controls the dome light. Try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins and see if that helps. It sounds to me like you may have a computer or data link problem that should be checked by a qualified mechanic.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I too am having similar problems with the turn signal switch on my 98 Cobra. Even my emergency flashers do not work and on occasion when I press the switch part way down, as in a lane change, it growls at me like a short ... can hardly wait till we get that house

Kate

"Marc" wrote in messa .

ge news:sJlLb.786$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

SVTKate (mobile)

My 97 Cobra had the turn signal problem. For about 2 years after I bought the car used, the turn signal would intermittently do a fast sounding blink. Sometimes it was the right signal, sometimes it was the left signal. If I held the signal lever part way to the 'lane change' position, the signal work perfectly.

This past May I was up in San Francisco about 10:30 at night. I left the restaurant and pulled right onto the freeway. As soon as I left the on-ramp and got out of the street lights I realized I had no head lights!! Thank god for AAA towing :)

Talked to my mechanic and he immediately said to replace the hi/low beam switch - which for the Mustang is the entire turn signal module. Head lights worked and my turn signal issue was also fixed!

I tore the old module apart and there were a couple sets of contacts that were discolored and black from shorting out.

I suggest if you are having this problem with the turn signal, play it safe and spend the $50-60 buck to replace the module. It's better than being left in the dark! :)

Scott '97 Cobra - Steeda 97-10

Reply to
Scott Tuss