intermittent starting problems - 1998 GT

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not breaking this group's netiquette by posting a repair question, but I could not find a recent FAQ for r.a.m.f.m.

Anyway, I've got a 1998 Musting GT convertible with no major modifications that I bought new. It's got just under 100,000 miles. Lately, it's been having an intermittent starting problem. I think the problem only happens when the engine is warm, but I am not 100% sure of this.

Anyway, the engine cranks fine and occasionally a cylinder or several fire and the engine sputters, but it will not start.

However, so far, at least, I've been able to get the car started by waiting 20-30 minutes and trying again. If the car is cold (has been sitting overnight, for example) I have not yet had this problem.

When the engine is running, it runs smoothly, and even idles smoothly once started.

I (think I have) ruled out:

- bad gas (happened on different tanks of gas from different vendors) - dirt/sludge at bottom of gas tank (happens near full or near empty) - dirty injectors (well, I ran a bottle of STP injector cleaner through the tank, for what that's worth) - battery (the engine cranks vigorously)

I suspect the fuel pump, filter, etc, but don't want to go replacing parts willy-nilly just to find out.

Because the problem is intermittent, and I can't drive the car to a mechanic when it won't start, I am having a hard time getting it diagnosed!

Any help would be appreciated. By th way, I'm in the CA Bay Area, so a mechanic recommendation would also be appreciated!

thanks, Dave J jacobowitz73 --at-- yahoo --dot-- com

Reply to
Dave J

Sounds like you are some how flooding it. Does it smell like gas around the car when it won't start?

Reply to
goodnigh

"goodnigh" wrote in news:K1Uqh.14873$X72.14695 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Please explain how you flood an EFI car.

Reply to
elaich

I don't think I am flooding it. Like all EFI cars, I don't give it any gas when starting. Perhaps the computer is flooding the engine, though, because of a bad sensor or something.

-- dave j

elaich wrote:

Reply to
Dave J

There's no netiquette here, but you'd be fine, anyway...

Do a Google search on "mustang tfi module", and see if you recognize the symptoms.

I had an '88 (4 cylinder) that would get me home fine, but wouldn't start back up again five minutes later. Wait 20 to 30 minutes, and the TFI module would cool down enough to let the engine restart.

dwight

dwight

Does the exhaust smell like gas?

Reply to
goodnigh

My experience is the opposite. Starts and dies after some time. Could be a few minutes or a few seconds. Warmer the engine the shorter time it runs.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Hmm. This car, a '98 with the 4.6L V8 has a newer distibutorless ignition system -- no TFI module per se.

Still, your point that it makes sense to look at the ignition system is a good one.

-- dave j

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Dave J

Sorry... Reading and comprehension is going down the toilet as I age. I thought it was an '88, not '98...

duh-wight

Reply to
dwight

I don't know, but the next time I have this problem I will definitely go out and check it. The car has not misbehaved in 48 hours. Which is good. And bad. :)

-- dave j

Reply to
Dave J