Checked your brakes lately?

Just a little story I feel the need to share:
Several days ago my wife told me her brakes on her Mountaineer were making some noise. I drove it to the store the next evening and sure enough, there
came a godawful grinding noise whenever the brakes were applied; it also sounded like there was a little noise just rolling along at a crawl, too. Not good. I got home, eyeballed the rotors thru the slots in the wheels, didn't see anything. (Then again, it was about dark, so there.) I waited a bit to let the rotors cool down (learned a year or so ago to do that the hard way) and ran my finger across one of the rears and felt a definite groove. uh-oh. So I tell her be careful, I'll fix it this weekend.
I went yesterday and picked up new pads and rotors for the rear (fronts were done several months ago). This morning, jacked up the back end, pulled off the wheels, loosened caliper bolts, and started to pull off the calipers...and then noticed the problem. The caliper wouldn't come off. While the outside of one rear rotor was slightly grooved, the inside pads on both sides were completely, totally, gone...nothing but shiny metal gouging into the rotor.
I felt a little sick then and actually more so now. I've been working a ton the last year or so, and didn't realize the mileage she's racked up, and it just never crossed my mind...but looking at what was supposed to be the brakes on the vehicle my kids ride in everyday was nauseating. How long had it been like that??? Not only that, but I let her drive it on friday. makes me want to crawl under a rock.
Anyway, posting this here is sort of like preaching to the choir, but if there's any vehicle at your house that the brakes haven't just been done on, when was it done? It might be a little bit longer ago than you think.
wabbitslayer 01 GT vert
wabbitslayer wrote:

Lately Ford has had a reputation for putting on soft rotors that help the vehicles have quiet braking. So when you have to replace the pads for the FIRST time, you quite often replace the rotors also. By all means, go with aftermarket parts on these items.
BTW, if you really want to see a POS throwaway setup, look at the rear drum brakes on a Focus.

We bought our 97 vert on nov 14th, took it on a trip to Vegas (about 700 miles round trip) then about a week later I felt/heard something not right. Took it to my buddies place and pout it on the lift. metal to metal on the pass rear, other side was still in good shape. The front brakes were recently redone but the drivers side was barely at spec and the pass was totally illegal. Stupid me for thinking buying a car off a lot it would at least be safe.....
Gumby
97 gt vert
It used to be that buying from a dealer meant you would get a quality car. Not true any more, they just buy them, wash them, sell them. I had issues with a dealer that told me they had a 110 point inspection on a Corvette I bought years ago and then had to get the rear end rebuilt within 100 miles of purchasing it. Recent years it is all about profit and nothing to do with getting repeat business.

That's not entirely true either. Some dealers are crooks, others are honest. Caveat emptor.
In your dealer's case, did one of those 110 points indicate that they inspected the inside of the rear end? If not, then that's just the way it goes. How many miles were on the car when you bought it?

had 37k miles on it

Sounds like the previous owner beat on it, or it was just a bad rear.

were
sure
way)
the
started
caliper
slightly
at
only
under
longer
(about
something
metal
at
buying
The brush you are painting with is pretty damned broad....
Recently, we had a couple of stinkers make it through our used inspection routine with concerns present.... One involved a used SuperDuty and $1400 worth of damaged rims. We are now "upside down" on that unit but our DP stepped up to the plate and made things right.
Another is a 5R55E in an Explorer that the inspecting tech didn't mention some engagement concerns it was having..... I'm in the process of disassembling that one right now... We will wind up "upside down" on this one too... but we have to make things right for our customer... even to the point of a loaner whilst I mend his new to him Explorer.....
Then, along comes someone that says "dealers".... not any specific dealer (as if fine points like this don't matter)... just "dealers" are thieves or some such.... At the same time, quality doesn't come cheap - premium cars are worth premium bucks.