Link to Locate Speed Traps

Check out this link. It's pretty slick. It lists your local speed traps.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Who knew Dry Prong had a speed trap....

Reply to
WindsorFox

(>ahem

Reply to
dwight

A speed trap is a speed trap, that is any cop anywhere waiting for a speeder to come by, get caught and ticketed. You are not trying to infer some speeding is more/less deserving of a ticket than other speeding now are you? You are either obeying the speed limit, or you are speeding, and deserve a ticket.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I checked out a few reports in my area and found them to be inaccurate. In method of enforcement, location. A lot of unsubstantiated horse shit IMO

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

I'm with dwight, a speeder in a school zone should be ticketed with prejudice!

Reply to
John

I agree. I'd say that site is (should be) for notorious places. Only one spot listed in Baton Rouge is a legitimate trap. The rest are like you said, someone got popped and ran home and posted it.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Some spots more regularly have a waiting cop therefire is a regular "trap"

Reply to
WindsorFox

Several listed for Ventura County were spot on. I'm sure some are probably old but I see several of those listed every week at least once. They are well known with us locals.

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

From a retired cop point of view....

There are legitimate locations which many call speed traps. Those are places where there is a high accident rate, high spped violation rate, etc. Enforcement is supposed to be "selective", however, if the rate of incidence is high enough, that enforcement becomes nearly permanent.

A "speed trap" is defined as law enforcement doing things like hiding in the bushes where a motorist would be too late in observation to reduce speed or whatever to avoid being caught.

Patrols are supposed to be in plain sight "to the observant motorist". At night, parking lights should be on. Visibility (including the use of "fake" patrol vehicles) is a psychological deterant, in the same way K-9s are psychological deterrants, as well as trackers, etc. If I recall correctly, these "rules" have come out of court cases, some of which reached the Supreme Court (when it was a bit more left leaning). Some places I worked, if you got caught breaking the rules, you paid the price (unpaid leave, garbage details, etc).

I am not so dumb as to say cops don't ever violate the rules, and in some areas they are supported in violating the rules. However, my experience is that most cops do follow the rules.There are more than enough violators on the roads to keep any cop busy. Their "targets" are those who brazenly violate the traffic laws knowingly and think themselves immune to being stopped.

And YES, while a violation is a violation is a violation, I consider violations on different levels. A school zone being a prime example. Residential areas get precedence over industrial, and over open road. A speeder may take a pass going with the flow, but the one who adds weaving in and out to get ahead of the pack becomes a moving target :0) (pun intended).

So, when you say spped trap.... is it really a "trap", or was it a motorist who wasn't paying attention and got stopped and is now ticked off and complaining about the "speed trap"?

By the way, AAA and other motor clubs I've dealt with, do trip planning for members. Based on reports from members, which are quantified, they actually stamp the maps with detours around construction zones and speed traps and mark the maps as what it is. If they get enough complaints the word goes out to all their offices.

Reply to
Spike

I have to say I'm sorry about calling those enforcement zones here in VC speed traps. They are not speed traps. The officer is almost always visible and as you say, if the motorist is observant he/she will see them.

I feel much better now. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Appreciate that, Jeff. Anyone can misstate something. Even a cop. For example, I always trained my patrolmen never to explain to a motorist how a radar gun works. But, sure enough, one of my senior patrolmen did explain to a speeder. It ended up in court. I'm sitting there on a different case. Imagine my surprise when the Defense asked my patrolman how a radar gun works, and I hear... "well, the gun shoots out a signal that strikes the target vehicle's engine and counts the RPMs which it converts to MPH when the information bounces back to the gun." Lot of cops in the courtroom burst out laughing. Unfortunately, the defendant happen to be an aircraft RADAR technician. Need I add that the case was thrown out?

The sad part was that the patrolman, as good as he was in other areas, could never go before that judge again without the judge having a question in his mind about the patrolman's knowledge and training.

Reply to
Spike