Marquis into Mustang

I have a 66 Mustang, great body, no engine. I also have a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis, V-8. My Mustang was a 289 car to begin with. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the GMarquis motor would work in my car, if I took any electronics off.

Thanks in advance.

Gary in NC

Reply to
forddriver

forddriver opined in news:HDVUa.3750$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

Hmmm lets see... I assume here you have the entire GM as a donor; you could do a little self education and do a complete swap including the electronics.

Spend a little time with it and have a great sleeper that would get you 23 mpg...

Or you could scrape off all the electronics go to a carb.. be on here alla time with questions and be happy with your 13 mpg.

Nah... dont do it. Sell the GM for parts.. find a rusted out donor pony with a 289 setup.

rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns93C5D83299EB4BkMch6d@216.168.3.44:

And see the 66 parts car for sale in Dallas, above

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Thomas Moats opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I agree... Just DO it.

And yes, they use the GT stuff.. and the setup for the GM is summat different IIRC.

But Close. Once you get the thng set up, it wouldnt be a BIG deal to switch

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Sure, why not.....Take the fuel injection items off, bolt on a nice Edelbrock performer manifold, say a 600-650cfm carb, drop in an older style distributor (make sure you have the proper gear on it), and your good to go..............

Bill S.

forddriver wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Come on Backyard. These engines are plentiful and cheap and can deliver close to 20 mpg carbureted depending on the choice of cam and other variables. The shrouded valve heads are indeed junk and should be dicarded and replaced with E7TE castings or something similar. 1986 pistons are junk too, rebore for good flat tops. Comp roller cams are compatable with early dist. gears, so junk the stock GM cam too. Use the 289 front sump oil pan and pick up. Ad a two piece fuel pump eccentric and mech. pump, rework the radiator to match the lower hose connections and make sure you use the correct flywheel.

Did I miss anything???

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe