Missed chance

I hated to, but I passed this one up:

All because the seller would not answer any questions! It smelled too much like a scam or the seller didn't have good answers.

Reply to
John

What exactly "smelled" like a scam? What questions would the seller not answer? Looks like a pretty nice car to me. Sold for 16k!! Low for an original Mach even with the engine work. A little elbow grease on this baby and the car will be worth 30k. After all isn't 1969 the first year for the Mach??? Someone got a great buy.

Jeff Foglietta

1967 Pontiac GTO 2004 Ford Mustang GT
Reply to
Jeff

Didn't look like a scam to me either... he covered a lot of little things in the auction that were wrong, but then I am not knowledgable on old iron.

Kate

| > All because the seller would not answer any questions! It smelled too much | > like a scam or the seller didn't have good answers. | | What exactly "smelled" like a scam? What questions would the seller | not answer? Looks like a pretty nice car to me. Sold for 16k!! Low for | an original Mach even with the engine work. A little elbow grease on | this baby and the car will be worth 30k. After all isn't 1969 the | first year for the Mach??? Someone got a great buy. | | Jeff Foglietta |

| 1967 Pontiac GTO | 2004 Ford Mustang GT

Reply to
SVTKate

This car is far from original. The doors will need to be gone through as "lower door rust not through the paint" means it comes from the inside out. The floorpan rust would have to be seen to be evaluated (surface rust or rusted through? Heater core leaked causing passenger side firewall and foot well damage? How are the torque boxes and frame rails?). Non-working tach could mean a replacement engine (no hook up for original tach?) and the areas painted gloss black would need to be reshot as flat black. He is correct to state that any 35 year old car will have rust somewhere. $16,600 seems like too much to me having also owned a '69 Mach for 17 years.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R.

I know the ad looked good, REAL good. So, I sent him a message. Two days passed and no reply. I sent another message. Another two days and no reply. I sent a third message from home and a fourth from work thinking maybe it's a communication problem. Still no reply. All I asked was:

His address and for an appointment so my brother could look it over for me. My brother is < 1 hour away from him.

Was it ever wrecked?

Close-up pics of the rusty areas.

A contact name and number of the shop that built the engine. I couldn't find the shop on the web.

Was it ever raced?

That's all. Heck, the car is 35 years old. I wasn't looking for perfection, but I did expect a reply. Why wouldn't someone reply in a case like this? I figured if he replied to everyone who asked a question, the price would only go up, based on how it looked! Heck, I would have bid on it if I had got a "warm and fuzzy feeling" about the guy and the car. But then again, the alarm bells went off for not replying and I sat out!

Reply to
John