Mustang locks frozen shut this morning - will replacing locks help?

Mustang locks frozen shut this morning - will replacing locks help, or will i have this problem no matter what?

I have an 88 GT. I'm thinking since its so old that maybe it freezes much easier than a new lock.

Reply to
User

Shooting some WD40 in to the locks will go a long way in stopping this from happening again. Taking your old locks out and giving them a really good cleaning, along with checking your weather-stripping to make sure that water is not dripping inside the door along the locking mechanism would be helpful as well.

User wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

its the old grease thats on the lock parts.. had this many times with all my fords in the past.. clean off the old grease as it gets full of dirt/dust and acts like cement when the weather gets cool/cold..... clean it off with some WD-40(its a solvent and not a lubricant) the only thing that WD-40 does is cut the contents of the old oils/grease and thins it out so that is why it seems like its lubricating.... get some new lithium grease on it and wipe off the excess.... hope this helps...

Reply to
jim

Just to add (for the OP who may or may not know), that sort of thing is for the latches and the internal linkages and such. The lock cylinder its self should be lubed with graphite.

Reply to
Brent P

All the suggestions are great. I've also used ethylene glycol in the lock cylinders. It gets washed out easier but you don't get messed up with oil and grease if you pocket your keys. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

White lithium grease solved this problem for me. You can get a spray bottle of it for less than $5

Reply to
EvilAllah(tm)

pocket your

All my Mustangs have had locks that freeze up in winter. One more bit of proof that cars are build for California and not the Northern climates. Would it have killed Ford to use a grease whose viscosity does not change with relatively mild temperture changes???

-Rich

Reply to
Richard