90 camry Door Will Not Stay Shut

My 1990 Camry (Old Brown) 260k miles is still going stong but its having trouble keeping one of its doors shut.

Situation: 20 degrees F and the doors are stuck shut, I'm outside. Finally get the passenger door to open with force and climb over to drive and when I pull the passenger door shut it just bounces off the car, no latching is going on. Did I break the lock or maybe the spring? I can use a screwdrive and make the mechanisiam pretent it's closing but it won't stay latched. It's night time now and very cold so I put it in the garage and sprayed it with deicer and the penetrating oil to try and work something free. Any help in similar situations would be helpful.

Searching reveals lots of posts where the door is stuck closed... my problem is opposite.

Reply to
kreipe

Sounds like the latch is sticking. Try moving the catch with a large screwdriver while observing action when door is open. There is a plate that flips down into position over the hasp on the door jamb attached to the frame of the car. Then apply small amount of good quality general purpose, or blue or red synthetic grease. Should be available at NAPA for under $3. Very possibly latch is frozen in position. May need to warm that area, spray WD-40 to disperse moisture, then apply grease to protect.

Reply to
Daniel

Amazing!!! Nothing broken, like I was thinking. After the de-icer and the WD-40, then sitting overnight in our garage (detached) the latch works again. Hopefully this thread will give hope to those with similar problems. Oh yeah, Old Brown thanks you.

Reply to
kreipe

I've been having this problem with Toyotas for 30 Years! The other thing you can do is start the car and get it warm, with the door as closed as you can get it. In about 10 minutes it will thaw out...

Reply to
hachiroku

Me too!!! Then I discoverd lube in an aerosol can. I use it every fall on all hinges, latches and etc. I even use silicone spray on the rubber gaskets on door, trunk and hood seals. I also use lock lube/penatrant (which I found a Ford product to be the best) on all my locks cylinders. Makes a much easier winter for me. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I'd bet it makes the doors *easier* to open when there's a bout of freezing rain!

Reply to
hachiroku

It does, and there's less chance of tearing up the rubber gaskets with freezing rain.

Reply to
davidj92