Now that the engine is out of the stang...

Im waiting a month before I get the engine back from the shop(1988 Mustang GT

5spd), I just installed some convertable engine mounts and got a griffin aluminum radiator with electric fan. Question: Im having the shop install the engine, should I wait to put the radiator in until after its installed or put it in before(would the shop say anything?)

  1. What else should I replace while im waiting for the engine to get done? I was going to put in a new water pump and was thinking a 3g alternator. But I was gonna wait on the alternator since I heard I ahve to grind down part of the bracket to get it to fit.

Reply to
TheBigItaly50

Engine first, then radiator. Otherwise, you risk damaging that new Griffin. It ain't worth the risk.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

so wait until the engine is put back in

Reply to
TheBigItaly50

My suggestion is to install the radiator after the engine is dropped. The old 5 Liters produced a lot of heat so my recommendation would be a triple core with a new water pump and a 160 deg thermostat. Also consider going with a speed flex fan.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

"Mr. Ford" wrote in news:58Irc.7743$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

160 might be too cold. 180 should be fine.

Joe

Joe, that depends, Ford recommends 180 deg as stock to allow for fuel lean out and for egr to kick in. They advise that anything less than 180 deg will cause ECM to increase fuel and cause cylinder wear. My experience after a complete engine rebuild was to lower the internal temp and refresh compression on the high end to provide better boost with less heat. I have seen some modified 302's that ran wide open. When Ford designed the LX series back in the late 70's and 80's a critical flaw was the front end that allowed very little air flow to pass over the radiator.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

"Mr. Ford" wrote in news:_fKrc.3746$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

That's my point exactly. Lower than 180 the car thinks it's not warmed up yet.

That's got nothing to do with the thermo threshold though. The engine needs to be at least 180 degrees regardless of the airflow.

Joe