O2 sensors

Are the O2 sensors a maintenance item after a period of time/miles. The car ( see below) has about 73k miles. I've noticed that there is a slight carbon residue coating in the tailpipe even after a long highway run. I was wondering if the engine is running rich due to the O2 sensors being original and perhaps not working as well as they should..

Reply to
Richard

Read here.

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 Mustang GT