Ontario's OPP finally admits that....

...the biggest cause of crashes on the highway is TAILGATING and NOT speeding. The OPP are the Ontario Provincial Police and it's their job to patrol the highways. It's pretty clear to anyone who has ever thought about it, but it's about TIME they admitted that their cash-cow (speeding tickets)perhaps should be augmented by charging those MORONS who insist on following 10-20 feet behind cars doing 60+mph on highways or 2-3 feet for city driving. I HATE tailgaters. I'd like to see people lose their licenses for habitually doing this but I KNOW the cops don't like to enforce the anti-tailgating laws because they aren't the "slam dunks" a radar gun can give you.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Quite right! I see that all the time. Almost got hit by a tail-gater a week ago, who was too busy on his cell phone to notice I signaled WAY before a turn, and given the 3 feet he had, almost hit me as I turned into my driveway.

I had to take a fast turn off to the other side and blast the horn, before he woke up and missed me. Then he gave ME a dirty look !

Maybe they can't read the Mustang name on the tail until they are REALLY close?

Reply to
Larson E Whipsnade

Rich, get a grip.

There is NO law against taitgaiting. Following to close is what you're thinking of, but only applicable when there is a crash. It has nothing to do with speed, and can be issued at 10MPH if the roads are slick.

Just ignore them man... or, better yet, :), get a 5,000lb plus Bronco, like me, and defy the piece of jap shit or whatever to move you. That's my favorite when I'm not in the 5.0... just try and move me. Please, try... :)

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

EEEEEEEEEEENKK! In louisiana it is illegal to follow too closely and you can be ticketed whether there is an accident or not. In fact lately cops have ticketed tailgaters (not gators) in line at stop lights. The recent TV ad states "Tailgating is illegal and that means when at a rest too."

--

"Gullible is a misdemeanor - stupid is a felony... clueless gets you committed..." - JG

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Damn... at a stop light? In some areas, *not* doing what they call tailgating at a stoplight would result in traffic tie-ups that are completely unnecessary...

JS

Reply to
JS