OT: accident cause and effect

I'd like your opinions on this -

My wife's I4 DOHC car has a bad timing chain and tensioner after just

69,000 miles. My warranty on it expires tomorrow. GM is sending an

-adjuster- out, to take a sample of the oil, look to see if the engine is stock (all but the K&N air filter) and check the "general condition" of the car. They also asked me for oil change records, which thankfully I had most of, because I geekily keep a spreadsheet and have everything else chronologically filed. I take care of all my vehicles relgiously. I've also been told by a trustworthy source that these cars are "notorious" for this problem.

The one thing I wonder about - it was badly t-boned two years ago, on the driver's side. The car was worth repairing, but took quite a hit, right to the b-pillar. I know a severe jolt to a car can have some odd after effects, but I've never, ever heard of this being one of them. Do you think it might be? I just want to be able to call BS if it isn't, because the evidence of the accident is obvious to an educated eye.

Reply to
Obie f.k.a. Wound Up

There is no way the timing chain can be related to any body damage. Even a lack of oil changes wouldn't cause that as something much more expensive would have broken first.

Sounds like the tensioner has a design or manufacturing issue.

Reply to
Brent P

I didn't think so. As I said I know a heavy G impact on a car can do some strange things, but this? Not in any way that made sense to me. The idea that it's a flawed part is the consensus I've heard from those who know this car and this engine. Thanks for your input.

I already planned to give them one hell of an argument if they tried to stiff me on this. Many service managers rely on ignorance. This is the only thing I could possibly think of as a possible cause. I can't believe they wanted freaking oil change receipts! They also wanted to see if the engine were modified, which I understand, given the fact it's a warranty claim....

Reply to
Obie f.k.a. Wound Up