OT: Anyone out there accessing the web via satellite - ie: dishnet?

Hi guys! I am finding that here in TN, there aren't a lot of options on internet service once you get into the rural areas, other than dialup. We all know, dialup sucks. The home we have chosen is well out of the DSL area (I think) ans so I am looking for other high speed options.

Is anyone out there accessing high speed via their satellite tv service? There is a DirecTV dish on the house. I have had DSL at home for years via SBC, and have no experience whatsover with satellite dishes so any input would be more information than I have now

Thanks :)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

"SVTKate \(mobile\)" wrote in news:s_fHb.20976$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

What about cable? I've heard that sat goes nuts in the rain...

Joe

at 27 Dec 2003, SVTKate (mobile) [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:s_fHb.20976$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Check with the phoneco. If you are lucky, there's a station within 3 miles of your home and you may be able to get DSL. A bud of mine is out in BF Egypt here in Fla but it turns out the switch (or whatcha call it) for that area is like 1.5 miles from his house. Ergo, he got DSL.

Not via satellite. I have cable broadband via the TV cable. Any chance of that in your area? It's not bad at all speedwise. Bright House (Time Warner) is pretty decent. Not that many outages...

Your welcome hon..

Reply to
Paul

I'm currently getting my TV thru DirectTV and computer thru Direcway. The TV has always been better than the local cable companies in the South Florida area with a lot less outages. As for Direcway it is a 2 way system with no phone line necessary except for initial install. It is a fast downloading as the DSL in my office but uploading isn't much faster than dial up. I've started with the Direcpc system (download only with dialup uploads) about 5 years ago and upgraded to the 2 way system about 2 years ago. I'm for the most part pleased with it but it is kind of expensive $60 per month for just the Direcway. It also doesn't have news groups and I get mine thru Newsguy.com.

One other note here you will have to have the dish and modems installed (required by law). This can be rather costly if the installer isn't honest. In my case they said it was a commercial setup and would have to charge me a $100 extra to get a permit. This was because my apartment is located at my work site. I manage a storage facility and most come with an apartment. I have DSL in the office but can't get it in the apartment because AT&T only has it for commercial in my area go figure.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Actually it is pretty stable here in the rain. My cable used to go out in the rain as well since they mainly get there main feed from satalitte as well.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Takes a big rain to kill the satellite feed and even then its only for a very short period.. 1 to 5 minutes. Have had satellite for 2-3 years and have only seen 3 brief outages. Of course if your dish is misalligned and you're running with a weak signal, it's much more susceptible to weather.

LJH

95GT
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Yes, I have had all three (Cable, DSL, and Satellite). I currently have DirecWay Satellite which I have had for over a year now.

What do you want to know?

Reply to
Barrett

Joe, I would fix the "no Residential DSL" problem with a simple $50 dollar router and a cat 5 cable. I ran a 100 foot Cat 5 cable in a conduit under my driveway and sidewalk and into the house at my last place and shared one DSL service with my business and home.

Reply to
351CJ

Kate call your local phone provider and have them run a test (for DSL) on the line they can do it from the office in real time, at least Verizon can.

When I bought my new place out in the boonies, there was no DSL available, last summer. Between making an offer on the place and moving in, in November, Verizon put a new switch out by my property and now I have

1300kbps down DSL. :-) Needles to say I'm now a happy camper.

I looked into the satellite internet option as completely as I could, because it was my only option aside from dial-up. What I found from local satilite users near me was that the upload speeds were less then a 56kbps modem, closer to the speeds of a 28kbps, and the download flucuated all over the place.

Direcway satellite $599 for install and $59 month They promise 380K download and 128K upload These were one local users results at

at 10pm on aSunday night.

Speakeasy 633kb down 23kb up

Megapath 206kb down 36kb up

Linkwire 1239kb down 33kb up

Satellite is slightly better then a modem, with HUGE latency, but if you can get DSL or Cable internet it is far better then satellite.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

I would except it would cost me my job. Can't tie into anything in the office for home use.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

No cable out there either Joe.. I wish! As much as I hate the cable company, I'd do it.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Well, now I have the price range .. there is a dish on the house already, no telling how many connections it has, Man I hate having to pay for TV! and $60 a month for internet access is crazy.

I will definately check to see if DSl is available, if not I may just hang with dialup for a few months

Thanks again!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Kate - satellite internet

Following are the StarBand Dealers nearest you.

Beasley Antenna and Satellite 1801 S. Bell Ave. Paris, TN 38242 731-642-4077 snipped-for-privacy@starband.net

ALL STATES SATELLITE 424 ST RT 385 N. WINGO, KY 42088 270-382-2465 snipped-for-privacy@StarBand.net

Freedom Cellular, LLC 5009-B South First St Milan, TN 38358 731-723-3733 snipped-for-privacy@StarBand.net

Cellular Systems DBA ClickSouth.Net 420 South Poplar St. Kenton, TN 38233 731-749-8400 snipped-for-privacy@StarBand.net

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Thanks Gerry :)

Reply to
SVTKate (mobile)

Man, I'd be looking into a nice wireless setup in the office... No wires, no fuss!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

That will probably be the next way I go as well. If you have any info on it please email it to me.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

at 27 Dec 2003, 351CJ [ snipped-for-privacy@msn.com] wrote in news:NAmHb.28212$Q% snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

I was just about to suggest something along these lines. Either cat 5 or hook wireless into it. (Making sure you have it secured properly)

Reply to
Paul

at 27 Dec 2003, Joe Cilinceon [ snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

Ahhh. That makes sense in view of viruses/trojans and other abuse issues. But how about asking your boss if they could vouch for the fact that your apartment is part of the biz and you need a seperate unit there? Liek Home Office?

Reply to
Paul

It is the corporate mentality at work here, so that isn't likely to happen. Besides we only access a private intranet and nothing public. lol

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Could suggest that you'd be willing to "take work home" to help the business stay on top of the "paperwork". My employer has no problems with me taking a copy of files that need to be updated (using Excel) home and work on them on my days off. It sure helps when my primary job is answering calls to set up reservations for pick-up's at home to the airport and back.

Reply to
Greg B.