OT: Buying an Explorer (long)

Went shopping for a new family vehicle yesterday. Pull up and park, go thru the meet and greet with the salesguy, tell him we're just looking, "not buying anything today". He proceeds to follow behind us out to the row of Explorers, and starts asking about what color, options, etc. I respond with a simple, "we're just looking right now."

As anyone who has ever bought a new car knows (and I had forgotten),car salesmen are deaf. But my wife was there, and it'll be her car, we're having a nice day with the kids at grandma's so I say "what the hell" to myself and play along. Ended up test driving pretty much the exact vehicle we're looking for (which was pretty short, since my wife wanted me to drive it and I was being driven nuts by the imbecile in the back seat telling us how smooth the Michelin tires rode..I wanted to ask if we could get Firestones as an option). The sticker was $33,745, and with the $4,000 rebate I already knew Ford has, I give the salesman my card and tell him to give me a call on Monday with their "take it or leave it" cash sale price. He tells me, "oh, I can get that for you right now", and we go inside. (Which I knew would be a complete waste of time, but hey, I've played along this far...)

He quotes me $28,580, which is only the rebate and $1165 off the sticker. I thought "you've got to be kidding", but said I'd think about it and call him Monday. So he says, well, let me get so and so, which instantly told me that they lied to me when I asked for their take it or leave it offer. So the purported manager comes out, and says that's the best price they can do, but there's another $1000 discount if I finance thru FoMo Credit. I say (for really about the fourth time), that I am not buying today,and we go thru another 20 minutes of BS sales pitch (you can take it home tonight and see if you like it, etc.).

We leave, with my wife thinking "wow, that's what I want" and me wishing like hell the dealership where I've bought my last two Mustangs had any Explorers close to what she wants.

To make a long story short, anyone else think that that $28,580 seems a bit high for a $33,750 sticker?

Reply to
wabbitslayer

Best money I spent when buying new cars is to buy the pricing guide for the model you want at Consumer Reports. It tells you exactly what their invoice was, and what dealer kick backs they're getting. It gives you a great bargaining tool to wave under their noses. I paid $200 under the dealer's invoice last year when I showed that they were still making over $1000, after they tried to convince me that invoice +500 was the lowest they could go.

Go here:

Scudder

wabbitslayer wrote: > and I was being driven nuts by the imbecile in the back seat telling us

LOL say "This is for my wife, can I get Firestones? The same ones they used to come with."

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

wabbitslayer opined in news:ncSMc.24346$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

...>

So... why not get the production codes and go to that dealer for a price... they can get the car from another dealer.

Good dealers should be rewarded, right?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I was raised Presybterian.

We believe in paying retail.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Look here, a 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer for $24,990 with FMCC cash. Wonder how much it is if you finance it yourself ?

Neoisthe1