OT: Drag racing on city streets

We live in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. There's a local city street where impromptu and illegal drag races are held. The starting line and finish line (1/8 mile) are painted on the street. There was an amateur video by someone who caught the action of one race. A beautiful 1969 Camaro VS. a 70s era Dodge or Plymouth. Both cars were heavily modified and their front ends lifted at the starting line. Half way down the "strip", the Camaro lost control, went over the curb, and hit a tree. The Camaro suffered irreparable damage and the driver suffered broken ribs and back injuries when he was ejected from the vehicle. Lesson to be learned: Even if you're a dumbass, wear your seat belt!

Dick in MN

Reply to
Dickr

I've seen plenty youtube vids with cars that have more power than the drivers have brains, then WHAM. The fun is over. I've never street raced but I have done a little parking lot racing... Some even legal club racing. I don't recall anyone getting hurt, and nothing more than rearrangement of some sheet metal. We all thought we were being pretty safe at the time.

I guess the street racers just don't get it or they think the odds are with them.

I'm from St. Paul, east side, about 30 years ago. I don't get back there often, so wow, is it ever different now.

Got a link to the video? I think there is a youtube vid in the Twin Cities where the cops ambush dozens of them street racing. They came out of nowhere, and blocked all the streets around the race area. Pretty funny actually. They arrested everyone, even the people watching. They set up video surveillance through the windows of several shops along the street as well. Come to think of it, this might have been on TV.

Reply to
twk