OT: Eerie Predictions Of A Katrina-Type Hurricane

Here is an excerpt from one of the news stories

Katrina "exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government. And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said at the White House before traveling to New York City for a United Nations summit.

Nitpick away... ;)

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

between

allowing

there,

insurance

Better

Executive

disaster

Hopefully

Reply to
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

LOL! You should hear some of the names _we're_ called.

Reply to
Joe

So he didn't use the term "screwed up"....

The difference being, IMHO, if you're flying along in an A6 and you reach for something and accidentally pull the eject handle... that's a screw up.... but.. if the plane is going down and you pull the handle and nothing happens, while it may be a screw up on someone else's part, on your part it's exposing (identifying) serious problems in egress capability at all flight levels prior to impact. And to the extent that the pilot didn't fully do his job right, the unit commander takes responsibility. It was not the unit commander who failed to preflight the aircraft, but the unit commander accepts responsibility for a pilot who didn't follow training. Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nations

handle

Whatever, Spike. Like I said, nitpick away...

Reply to
Joe

Nope, I agree that what was said was that the he would take full responsibility for anything that the feds screwed up.

I merely wish to point out that there is a severe difference between what is taught in Emergency Service training, dealing with issues from the minor accident in a parking lot all the way up to the multistate disaster, and what the general public person knows. The media folks know that, and they aren't going to explain how the process works, (that's about 20 hurried hours in a class - just to get a basic understanding) because the viewers would tune them out and that would cost the press big $. That's why we now have big shows that rely on ambush interviews, and rely completely on sound bite journalism. I've seen firsthand how a 3 minute answer giving reasonable details can get cut down to 30 seconds of sound, and edited to prove the interviewer's point of view, regardless of the original meaning. There is no way to blame FEMA for not sending people, supplies or equipment into a scene when the individuals (who know how this stuff works, because the training in a lot of these areas is required by federal decree for specific individuals) responsible for requesting said items have not done so. Should FEMA have acted quicker, maybe, but by law FEMA has to follow a set of rules that starts with the local government. They can't force the mayor or governor to ask for things, and unless the entire political system beneath them has been incapacitated their actions would be unconstitutional. Should they have staged what was already local where it normally would have been, NO. The equip & persons stationed in the affected area were pulled out, so that they were able to return, had they stayed in place the equipment would have been destroyed. FEMA has no control over the Nat'l Guard, that's the Governor... The busses that were destroyed should (according to the mayor's emergency plan) have been used to evacuate the city prior to landfall, let alone the levee breach. I think the # of potential passengers on the busses that never were moved was twice the number of people stuck in the 'dome.... How does that make W look bad? When is the mayor going to admit that his lack of ability to follow a premade plan CAUSED the majority of the mess that W is being accused of? Drowning New Orleans A major hurricane could swamp New Orleans under 20 feet of water, killing thousands. Human activities along the Mississippi River have dramatically increased the risk, and now only massive reengineering of southeastern Louisiana can save the city By Mark Fischetti

The above heading came from doing a google search for "national geographic + New Orleans", following the link to

then the one for

"Scientific American published a similar article in October 2001. "

Clearly, GWB is behind the failure of the locals to prepare for a situation no one in america could have forseen.

With me it is a common thread. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. W is taking his, where the blame actually belongs is where we have the big decisions to make. I've been in EMS and fire/rescue since '86. I've personally taken training for positions well above my current ones, just so that I can better understand why officers give the instructions they do. Sometimes it's not the big shots that make the right calls, but a wispered suggestion when instructions just don't seem right may make the right one happen anyway. Not so down south, where the feds (who can't get stuff right, remember) say "don't send people home yet, they won't have potable water, there's no emergency service coverage, the area isn't safe due to health issues...etc" but the MAYOR (he never makes bad calls, right?) issues a decree that folks can go home. Thanks to the next storm, ( which - again -NO ONE saw coming ?) this pompous fool would have killed even more of his constituents -

and BUSH gets accused by the 'leaders' of the poor and downtrodden ( what's the politically correct term this year ) community of not caring about certain 'groups'.

Reply to
Eric G

Eric, you should read Maureen Dowd. ;)

"Eric G" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Joe

As usual, the impression is that it's perfectly fine to nitpick the government, but not to nitpick when the government may be misquoted, or the quote taken out of context.