OT - Middle East

I'm considering applying for a job within my company in the Middle East. It's in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Does anyone know if one can access usenet from there? Given the content in some of the newsgroups and the strict control the muslim government has, I can see it might not be available.

Reply to
John

It would probably depend on whether your company went with a local Internet service provider or a Global-IP Satellite Network provider. I am sure that the local government has some influence over what can and can not be viewed using the local ISP's service. However, when I was in Iraq and in Afghanistan my battalion's MWR fund paid for a Global-IP Satellite Network service. The company was US based and shipped us all the equipment (satellites, routers, cat-5 cables, etc.) that we needed to get started. There are no restrictions on what you can view, it's just like having your home Internet connect here in the US and it isn't slow as snails either. The company that we used while in Iraq was Segovia

and I can't remember which company we used in Afghanistan (it was too long ago). I'll let you know in June when I go back though : )

John wrote:

Reply to
Hucklebuck

Y'all did, and are doing, a great job over there, Huck. Good luck when you return. Are you active, reserve, or guard? (Not that it makes any difference, just wondering. My son-in-law returned last March after a year in an MI Battalion.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
JohnH

Reply to
Hucklebuck

'Poco Loco' (little crazy) is the name of my boat, kept in Deale, MD. And, you're welcome. Hope all stays well.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
JohnH

You have my most sincerest of sympathies for being stationed in Fayettenam. I was at the JFK warfare center there back in the early

90's before I retired in `94. I think the rubber I laid down leaving that down is still on the entrance ramp of I95 North. What a freakin hole that entire place that is. I could leave fast enough, still had to put in two years there though. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Reply to
ZombyWoof

August this year will be 3 years "station time" at Bragg. Though, I haven't really been here that long because of multiple combat tours. I'll have four years station time by time I actually do ETS. I was just involuntarily extended (stop-loss/stop-movement orders) until July 2006. I think if you are married then Fayetteville isn't as bad as it is for the single soldiers. I'm not a huge fan of Fayetteville but something in North Carolina must have rubbed off on me. My wife and I are moving to Charlotte when I ETS instead of moving back to Baltimore. I'll miss the Baltimore Harbor, Chesapeake, and the Seafood.

Reply to
Hucklebuck

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:14:16 GMT, Hucklebuck wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well I only made it to the South Eastern part of Virginia. I had to stop because I didn't have the money for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Not a bad area, close to the ocean and all that.

I very seriously considered Charlotte, but the job I was offered there fell through. It is a nice area. I damn near stayed in FayetteNam, but the job a little south in Lumberton fell through as well. You ever been to Chason's BBQ?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Nope... I've never been to Chason's but the name sounds familiar for some reason. Where is it located?

Reply to
Hucklebuck

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 02:31:54 GMT, Hucklebuck wrote something wonderfully witty:

The best I can say is west of FayettNam. Ask around. Anybody who has been in the area a while would know. Or try information (411). The place is in the middle of no where, but it was a big deal to skip over there for a long lunch on pay-day. The ambience sucks, just a shack. But the absolute best southern all you can eat buffet with a picken pig I've ever been to. Sometimes we would go Sunday after Church and then lay around just moaning for the rest of the day.

You have got to try it at east once before you leave the area. Outstanding place. Good food, good price, horrible location & atmosphere. Really nothing more then a shed. Exposed 2x4's and wring on the inside. So horrible it was good in a way.

Reply to
ZombyWoof