OT: tires for 01 Mazda Protege

Well one blew out, so I might as well replace the front pair (50k+miles on them anyways...). Anybody have any suggestions? The tires are Dunlop SP Sport 5000, and are 195/50/R16 and rated at 83VR. I'm looking for anything that'll handle better (these were pretty good though so if it comes to that i'll get another set...). Also they're M+S tires, so even if I can get summer tires I'll do with those too. Anyways, anybody have suggestions? Two things: Handling and treadwear. Price would be a factor too depending how high/low it is. But a good tire overall would be great. And speed rating has to be same or better. Also if anybody has a protege... how wide can you go wtih the tires? 205? 215? The last 2years have been lucky for me in terms of tires and wheels. My '01 Mustang GT did 45,000+miles on the stock gatorbacks AND stock brakes, and the '01 Protege has done 50,000+miles on the tires, and did about

45,000miles on the brakes before I changed them (still had meat though). Gagan
Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

I replaced all for corners of my Stang with Continental Extreme Contact tires I got from Tire Rack. It was like night and day. Still had 2 gatorbacks on the front and a set of Yamaha ASV's(? Something like that) on the rear. The Conti's were like night and day. With all original bushings and suspension (1990 GT) at about 80k miles on the odometer, the car handles like a dream. They are all weather tires too. Unidirectional. Cost me about 70 bucks for each, and 20 bucks each to get them installed by a recommended dealer from tire rack. Tires came the next day, if you can believe that. The installation guys were great too. Installed at a shop called Magnum Motors in Yonkers. The owner, Dennis seemed like a nice guy. Two mustang fans there too, which suprised me. John and Phil IIRC. (Phil has a Black T-Top 88 GT! pretty sweet...never saw one before) and John own's an ex police job with a Vortech running 10psi! Sweet...

Here it is....looks like it's still the same proice ($69) ...you'll have to price out right size for yours. I may be getting a set for my camaro too.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy