Ownership trail

My friend has a 67 390 GT convertible. He wants to try to find out who previously owned it. It was a race car and might have some historical value. Any idea how?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Contact Kevin Marti at Marti Auto Works:

He can reproduce the invoice to the dealer, which is a starting point.

Other than that, he'll have to follow the time-honored method of asking his previous owner who he bought it from, then try to locate that person and ask him or her the same question, etc.

Some states' DMV's will disclose ownership records, but in the modern world there is less access to that information every day.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Oops. Guess I should have looked at the link more closely. No invoices for '67 Mustang. You can still get a "Marti Report" which apparently, in deluxe form, tells you the dealer. Here's a pic:

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Good luck finding previous owners. Used to be, Washington State would do a title search for you, but with all of the recent identity theft problems, they tell me "no way" I was told law enforcement could track down cars, but they had to have a real good reason (crime) to do that. Bill

Reply to
Me

Yeah, laws vary from state to state. Just 20 years ago, you could get anything you wanted from the Cali DMV. Then some stalker used DMV records to find the address of his victim based on her plates, and murdered her iirc. They changed the law so that, again iirc, only private investigators and attorneys can still get access, along with law enforcement of course. Maybe a call to a private investigator in Arizona will yield some info.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

You used to be able to get info based on driver's license number and/or license plate here in MA. But that changed as a result of federal privacy legislation, according to the RMV guy I spoke to.

Reply to
Bob Willard