P/S is for Sissies !!

j/k !

But it did just got to a Short Belt w/Underdrive pulleys on my 89 5.Vert!

After I installed the March Underdrive Crank/Water pump pulleys, my belt ended up being a bit to long (the Tensioner at Full range).

So I inadvertently had NO P/S as I took it for a quick test drive. It wasn't nearly as hard to turn as I thought it was gonna be!

I had been considering deleting the Smog pump anyways, so I figured WTF, I might as well Delete the P/S as well!

So after (3) trips back/forth to the Parts store, I ended up using a 68.5" belt (part # 685K6 Dayco).

Feels like the car has an additional 20HP increase (AT LEAST)!! Really runs like a SOB now ! :>)

The steering feel is FIRM and Precise, with a side benefit of a work-out for my arm muscles!

Now it "FEELS" like a Muscle car 'should' feel IMHO !! :>)

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

No power steering isn't bad at all, as long as you are moving. To me it does take quite a bit of effort when you are sitting still. On the power increase end, I found about .08 - .10 improvement by using the short belt. Swapping belts is one of the first things I do whenever I go to the track.

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

Yea, it sure does.

I guess it depends on each indiviuals own arm strength though.

BTW, how much HP/TQ do P/S and the Smog Pumps actually consume ??

Reply to
Katmandu

My rack is on its last legs... I plan on purchasing a flaming river quick ratio manual steering rack for my 88gt vert :) Glad to here no PS works out for you (having a similar car and all)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

As long as you are not giving input through the steering wheel, the power steering is doing little more than going along for the ride. Ditto the air pump.... it is low pressure and medium to low CFM. If there is any benefit to deleting them, I would tink it has more to do with reducing rotating inertia than any real gains in usable horsepower.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I went without it for a while, and would have stayed that way, but the wife wouldn't drive the car without power steering.

Damn...I should have left it that way.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Ever try turning a power steering pump by hand? They are tough to spin even when not turning the wheel. At least the ones on my '60s Galaxies are.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Try driving a '67 Galaxie 500 with manual steering... Now try parallel parking it. :) I onyl did the parallel parking thing once after I disconnected the power steering. LOL

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle