Programming PATS Ignition keys

I have a 2000 Ranger and only one PATS key. The manual says I need two working "pre-programmed" keys before I can program a third key myself. Who the hell keeps three sets of keys around? Apparently, if you have only one key and want a second, you have to go to Ford to get a copy made, ($50 to $100). Does anyone know how to get around this "rip-off" system??? No wonder Ford is losing so much business, coming up with such an obvious and lame cash cow. Are there any folks out there who can program these PATS key? I'm tempted to disable the entire system. Help please!

Keyless in Florida

Reply to
Dleer

In the future, please don't use html formatting. It makes it hard to read for some (especially those with visual problems or who are blind (who read these with text to speech convertors), takes up more bandwidth and makes it hard for others to reply, because most readers can't properly mark your text.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Kind of like when they launch the nukes... Takes two independent authorizations.

Aside from myself, apparently a lot of my customers. One for dad, one for mom, one for the sproggen.

My question is; who the hell loses the other key?

Ay-yep. You want one, they got one. They'll give you one if you give them money. Commerce, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

There are a few options.

What about the other car companies that have similar anti-theft strategies that aren't losing business?

Any auto repair facility with the proper equipment. Many locksmiths. A Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership. People at the Ford assembly plant. You with the right hardware/software.

Well, you would if you knew how.

I'm not sure there's help for the terminally not yet ready for vehicle ownership and responsibility.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

-----------

I think you are wrong when you call the Ford PATS a "rip off system." At least Ford gives you the option of making a spare key. Check with Toyota owners that have a similar system - it is a dealer only process. Or for that matter check with anybody who's cars requires laser cut keys (some Hondas, VWs, Audis, MBs, etc.). You have it easy with your Ford. Originally the Ford system only required a single working key to program a new key. However, Ford soon realized that this made it too easy for thieves to duplicate your key. Any person that had access to a single key (valets, mechanics, etc.) could program a duplicate and come back and steal the car at a later time.

You only have two options. 1) Have your Ford dealer (or a locksmith with the proper equipment) program a second key for you; 2) Make a couple of regular Ford keys (without the PATS feature) and tape your "good" pats key in the steering column near the lock. You won't have any security any more, but it the cost really bothers you, this is the cheapest option.

For all my Ford, I make a third spare as soon as I can. You can pick up the PATS key relatively cheaply on Ebay, have them cut locally, and program them yourself (As long as you have two working keys).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You're right..... who would have 3 keys? What idiocy.... I find 5 to be a sane number..... One on "my" key ring that I use when driving "that" vehicle..... one hanging on my spare key board...... Two in my loving brides purse and one in a very good spot on the truck (you will need to be very, very lucky in a very creative way or have a long, long time to be able to find it).

Personally, I like the system... especially since, if I do lose a key, I can have that key programmed out of the system. Sure, a lucky finder might open the door, but the truck will still be there when I return.... Fwiw, if someone wants to open a car, they sure don't need a key to do it...

I keep spare keys for the same reason I buy insurance, the same reason I wear approved safety boots at work and the same reason I wear safety glasses when necessary...... Because bad things happen - even to good people. Armed with this realization, are we to believe that your oversight is Fords rip-off?

The alternative is that your Ranger might not have been equipped with PATS... and that instead of kvetching about the key, you'd be all pissy because your truck was so easy to steal....

I am old enough to realize that there are people that will never be pleased - no matter what might be tried.... You, young sir, are one of those people. When those you deal with get to know you as "unpleasable"... they will, in all likelihood, stop trying...

Keyless in Florida

Reply to
Jim Warman