1990 5.0 addition to the family

My step-son is going to look at this car today at a local dealer (coincidentally the same dealer as where I bought my '96 four years ago). The ad says super clean, and they do have great cars there.

My quesiton is: is there anything about these cars I should look for, ask about, etc...? Asking price is $5,000.

Thanks in advance.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Be sure to have him check for the VIN decals on both inside fender lips when the hood is open, on the hood near passenger hood hinge, front bumper cover under the lip of the bumper. If all VIN decals are in place you will know at least the car was not wrecked (of any major damage) previously. Any missing or DOT decals would indicate definate front end damage which can be used as a bargaining tool.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Reply to
Erik D.

Thanks, Erik. Yeah, we might actually get that chance tomorrow! :-) Found another one (GT this time) tonight. A private sale. Says it's in great condition, only 100,000 miles on it, supposedly. But it's an auto. Since it won't be my car I don't really care. :-)

seats...which

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Driving an older Fox is definately a fun thing, but some of the suspension systems that they put in those cars makes it damn near impossible to drive around here with as bad as the roads are.

I currently own an '88 LX with 72K single owner miles on it, and the car is as tight as it was new, which is *stiff* Engine pulls strong, though obviously not as hard as my snake. Lots of torque down low, and definately a fun car to drive. Much less refinement, but still relatively nice.

I also own an '85 GT with 78K miles on it. Again, the suspension and steering are very stiff. The original engine is tired from sitting so long in one spot... and having only 180hp to begin with on the CFI car with an AOD behind it, it makes for a sluggish beast. However, if you're looking for a lack of refinement, this is the car to have. No fancy power seats, no pretty looking instrument cluster. The heater controls are next to the instrument panel and are vertical sliders. There is *nothing* but a vent or two and a glove box on the passenger side of the dash. Everything is no-nonsense, except for the console which if I could find a console delete plate, I know a few people who would buy them. They're flimsy and don't hold up well... the arm doors always break, and they're just strange looking.

The pleasures of driving a non-thrashed Fox are many if you don't mind the lack of niceties. Both cars have manual mirrors and windows. The GT has a sunroof and tilt wheel though, whereas the LX doesn't even have that.

Good luck in your quest. ;-)

JS

Reply to
JS

.... and they're asking five grand for the thing? Sounds like turd to me!

how could you say 'the guy said something about some work on the heads" and 'super clean' sure as hell isn't all banged up and crappy like you described.

I think the guy is trying to screw you, and almost like you are going to let him!

Kate

"C. Olofsson" wrote in message news:UbU3b.9521$QT5.2215@fed1read02... | | "Musttanguy" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com... | > >From: "C. Olofsson" | >

| > >1990 5.0 | > >My step-son is going to look at this car >today at a local dealer | > >The ad says super clean | >

| > Be sure to have him check for the VIN decals on both inside fender lips | when | > the hood is open, on the hood near passenger hood hinge, front bumper | cover | > under the lip of the bumper. If all VIN decals are in place you will know | at | > least the car was not wrecked (of any major damage) previously. | | We didn't even have to do that. The car was not "super clean". | | > Any missing or DOT decals would indicate definate front end damage which | can be | > used as a bargaining tool. | | That car had enough bargaining tools without front end damage being one of | them. LOL! | | First off all, let me say, this was my first time driving a Fox. I can see | where the appeal is, most definitely! I bet they are alot of fun to drive in | better condition than this one was. It's so much more UNrefined than my '96, | but it had its strong points. I could easily see myself owning one for the | right price. :-) | | The car had a chip, Flowmaster exhaust and a racing clutch, and had | obviously been raced. It rattled and shook and was not as impressive as I | thought it would be. I guess no major engine work had been done, but | somebody at the dealership something about head work. | | The paint wasn't good, to say the least, even though it is a 13 year old | car. I've seen better. The front bumper was dull and scratched and the rear | had something that looked like gray glue around the taillights. Interior was | very used, but I couldn't see any tears, just sagging in the seats...which | were quite comfy, btw. ;-) | | We took it for a drive to Samoa (Subic will know where this is) and I pulled | into a beach access area to let hubby drive it, and the damned thing started | knocking then died. We couldn't start it again. Called the dealer and they | came with gas and it started again. LOL! | | The engine seemed strong enough, but I can definitely say my '96 is quicker. | This car was not a GREAT example. I'm very anxious to drive one in excellent | condition, though. :-) | | Cindy | '96 laser red auto GTS |

| | | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Where the hell did I say I was going to let the guy screw us over? I never said we were considering buying it after we drove it!?! I just wanted to drive the damned thing 'cause I never have driven a Fox. I don't make decisions solely based on the exterior of a car. For all I knew the engine was good, and it wasn't bad, just not what I expected. But after driving it, its age was very apparent and not what Jr. was looking for.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

seats...which

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Yes, I was surprised at how stiff this car was. It hit bumps like my '96, which isn't always a pleasant experience.

This LX had more niceties than my '96, believe it or not, but I still got the impression it wasn't as refined. :-)

Both cars have manual mirrors and windows. The GT has a

Hm, the LX we drove had power windows, mirrors, but not seat.

Thanks! We are going to need it. Some very strange things are going on right now. I'm actually considering selling my '96 and buying a *HORROR* family car! I'm not sure what to do. We don't have the money to buy a second car at the moment, and we NEED one. It's heartbreaking to even think about it. Our financial situation is supposed to improve in some months. Hubby has promised a Cobra will be in my future, but he tends to be overly optimistic, too. The '96 will be in the family (my step-son wants it badly) but in a way that's even worse. He's a kid and they tend not to treat stuff with respect, especially this kid! I can see myself screaming at him the first time he comes home with a scratch on the car.

*sigh* I can only hope he falls in love with the '90 GT we're looking at today. ;-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

C. Olofsson opined

Check definition of "Mustang"...

Never do we WANT to see it get TOO refined.

The P-51 is brute power and ruggedness.

The horse is no thoroughbred, few manners, but all heart.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic