Re: 2003 cobra cold air filter problems

I couln't wait on the 2005 Stang and went for the 2003 Cobra. It has

> Magnaflow exhaust and, just recently, I bought a Delta Superchip and MAC > cold air kit from rpmoutlet.com. By the way, my experience with > rpmoutlet.com sucked a big one! But that's another story I'll tell later. > I put on the chip and could feel the difference! A great boost. Then a > week later I put on the air kit and filter and immediately had problems with > idling. After running it in any gear and then letting the rpm's come back > down, it would have trouble going back to idling rpm and sometimes would > even stall. I took the chip back out and it still did the same thing. > After about two weeks of this, I put the stock filter and kit back in > and..... back to running just perfect!! What gives here????

David,

Try posting to

A lot of folks familiar with modding of this type (not to say there aren't some here too). I was directed to this forum by someone here, and I'm addicted.

A common suggestion is to reset the computer (disconnect the battery for a few minutes) after adding something like a CAI. Drive it around for a while to let it relearn. However, since you put the stock chip back in (which should have reset anyway since you pulled it out), it may be something else.

HTH,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

This a common issue. You can try resetting the computer but it probably won't be a permanent fix. You can also try rotating the MAF, if the CAI allows this. The bends in the CAI create some flow effects at low air intake speed that can distort the MAF signal and confuse the PCM. Sometimes, rotating the MAF will compensate for these effects.

Did you remove the screen that was between the MAF and the stock air box when you put in the CAI? Figuring out how to get that back in place with the CAI will help. The screen's primary purpose is to straighten the air flow and minimize these kinds of effects.

The last thing that I've seen done is to increase the base idle a couple of hundred rpms. A search at

will turn up instructions on how to do this, I think.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Talso

From what I've read about the MAC cold air kit, the bend in the pipe right after the filter causes problems with the airflow across the MAF. That's why everything smoothed out when you put the original airbox back in. I've seen dyno charts that show other high RPM problems with this MAC kit as well.

One solution might be to return the MAC kit and get the Steeda cold air kit. It allows for a straight path.

Jim

03 Cobra
Reply to
nytebyte