Re: 66 mustang HELP!!!!

hello! im kinda new at this so no flames please....

> > i have a 66 mustang with the 289 engine and stock everything. i just > spent my summer working on it. after some fiddling with it, i got it > to start and run decently. she still needs a valve adjustment. anyways > on to the problem. when it runs, i noticed smoke comming out of the > oil cap from the breather hole. when i pulled the valve covers off, > the smoke is comming from the oil passageways on both heads! ive > replaced the PCV so i dont think it could be that, unless the one i > got was bad. i rebuilt the heads over the summer, but not the block. i > didnt have the time or money to do that. could it be bad oil? bad > rings? could it be a side effect of the valves not being adjusted > right? if it is the rings, could i take a piston out of the car > without removing the engine? i live in an apartment for college and > need this car up and running shortly.

Sounds like bad rings ( blowby) If your getting into a ring job the motor should be pulled and redone. Old worn motors will smoke a bit. Your decision to rebuild or not etc will depend on the amount of oil it's burning or blowing and how much you or the local fuzz can tolerate. You can use a thicker grade of oil ( 10W 40) and just keep an eye on the dipstick when you gas up. Also whatch for oil fouling the plugs.

> another problem i encountered over the summer was that i couldnt get > the old gaskets off of the tail pipes. the ones that connect the > y-pipe to the exhaust manifolds. they were burnt on there and would > NOT come off. any ideas on a good way to get these off?

Usually you just chisel them to pieces. If they are really sticking in areas get a Dremel or similar small grinder and clean them up with deburring tool or stone etc. Get the solid steel ones for replacement. BTW the tailpipes are at the back of your car. Manifold, Y pipe ( H pipe for duals) Muffler(s) Tailpipe(s) ( Easy Bill, I know the '66 has a crossover muffler!)

> If you need any other info, just ask, ill check back regularly.

Shift key, capitalize please! ( sorry had to get a dig in!) StuK

> Thanks!!!
Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks for the info....thats what i had feared. Its not smoking a whole lot. cant even notice it when the air breather is on. Would some sort of an oil additive help out any? I know some of them help the rings seal.

Anyways, i have another slight problem. The engine revs beautifully, even with a couple of loose valves. When pull the accelerator linkage to give her some gas, i notice there's a small amount of gas seeping from....oh whats it called....its the bar that holds the throttle plates....it goes all the way through to the other side of the carb to where the auto choke hooks up. i took the automatic choke off because all the plastic pieces had broken and it was just getting in the way of a pull cable. Anywho, gas is leaking out of where that bar meets the carb housing. its a small amount, but while im in the car, i figure ill fix what i can. i put a kit into the carb, but ive had it backfire twice through the carb (first time it caught fire). the throttle response is great so i dont think anything was messed up. any ideas? id prefer to not mess with the throttle plates as i know theyre a PITA to put back on right. thanks!

oh! BTW, its an autolite 2100 2 bbl.

should be pulled

get a Dremel

Get the solid

Reply to
Errol Smith

Time to replace the carb..........Without the choke, your going to have a rough running condition until the engine wamrs up to normal operating temperature. Replace the carb, spend the money to do it right the first time, and you won't have any other issues............As for the rest of it, time to replace your piston rings....While you have the engine apart, you may want to consider a complete overhaul................

Bill S.

Errol Smith wrote:

should be pulled

get a Dremel

Get the solid

Reply to
Bill S.

I just took off the automatic choke assembly and replaced it with a pull cable attached to the choke plate. i dont mind giving it a little gas in the mornings to compensate for the lack of the auto choke....wouldnt leave my car running without me in it anyways :)

The car idles and runs fine. revs like a champ. i live in an apartment complex that frowns upon working on cars in the lot so all the work i can do is on sundays when management is gone. plus i dont have the proper tools or money even to take the whole engine out and overhaul it. nor can i afford to have someone else do it. so my main problem and question now is how do i stop this leak out of the side of my carb without getting a whole new one? It was leaking even with the auto choke assembly on so i know its not that.

Thanks!

Reply to
Errol Smith

Thanks for the advice. I just might buy a new carb now. I accepted a

3500 dollar student loan so i can use the money i have saved up to fix up the car a bit. theres no way im selling it though. hopefully ill still have her when i retire! :) now for my next question....whats a good daily driver carb for a 66 mustang? i still want some good performance. sacramento-mustang.com sells some rebuilt holleys for 170 bucks. would this be good? also, whats a good price on a new fuel tanks. mines getting rusty.
Reply to
Errol Smith

Carb should be a stock replacement, not a Holley unit if your looking for reliability (do it once, do it right, and it will last a lifetime), as for the gas tank. Mustangs Plus has them for $119.95

Bill S.

Errol Smith wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I second that advice. The Autolite's are a nice simple carb that's hard to beat for a daily driver, and personally I think they perform at 90% of the finicky Holleys.

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del